Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Skimming The Pocket Idiot\'s Guide to Texas Hold\'em

Thanks for the review -- I think it's very fair. It's really, really, really important to remember this a short "least you need to know" introduction for someone who either has NEVER played or who has played a little bit, casually and has no idea about strategy. So when we talk in terms of the flop changing everything, or of the value of knocking people out in late rounds of a tourney, it's to introduce those basic ideas, not to suggest an advanced strategy based on those observations. Randy and I both believe (and it was our goal in writing this book) that someone who played .50-$1 online or live $2-4 could become a modest winner if they read this book and applied themselves. Chances are, someone with the determination and ability to to do this will quickly move on to other material as well, of course.

The intended audience isn't bad players, but it was amazing sitting at a full table of regulars last week, all of whom I'd guess are losers for life, and seeing how none saw any need for this (or any other) book.