Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2004, 02:18 PM

Default Losing set over set.

.25/.50 NL at Paradise Poker.

Just joined the table, no reads on anyone

I have 22 in the Big Blind and check after 3 limpers.

The flop comes 872r. Great flop for me. I bet out size of the pot ($2) thinking that the straight possibilities are out there and that I rarely slowplay sets.

EP limper folds, MP limper calls, Button raises to $5. (pot now at $11)

At this point, I'm happy to get my chips in the middle vs. 2 pair or OESD, so I raise 8 more to $10. MP limper folds, button raises all-in, $15 more for me to call (pot at $42). I call the $15 and he turns over 88 for top set. I don't catch my 1 outer and lose half my stack on this one.

Is this one of these hands that I'm destined to lose all my chips on, or should I have slowed down after his raise? If I just called his raise, I can't think of too many cards that would make me lay my hand down.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Losing set over set.

From the betting the Button had around $25 (50xBB). There is no way I'm getting away from a set with this short a stack. This may be a leak in my game but even with deeper money (100xBB or more) if you have a bigger set you will get my stack most of the time. The only way I could get away from this is if I had a read on my opponent as being weak-tight.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:37 PM

Yah, in set vs set situations you just have to pay the winner. And no you shouldn't slow down, as while in this instance you had the losing hand, your hand is will be best on the flop the vast majority of the time.

Another perspective I like to use in poker, is that if your hands were reversed, would your oponet fold? Of course not, so you didn't play out a situation that seperates you in long terms expectation. Only when one palyer plays a hand better than another player would, do you really make or lose money in the long run.

By the way, this week I floped QQQ vs 222, and my oponet both acused the game of bing rigged, and me for being stupid not raising pre flop with QQ. Oh jeeeezzzz, like taking a bad beat is something that never happens in poker.

AeonBlues
Old 03-01-2004, 03:24 PM

With less than 100BB, you're destined to lose your stack.

Oh well.

Fistdantilus