Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2004, 05:06 PM

Default Flopping two pair from BB

This is more of a hypothetical question, but if necessary I have a hand that fits this situation.

Anyhow...how in god's name should you play if you are BB in an unraised pot with 3 or 4 limpers after you and you flop two pair when there's ANY sort of a draw down there? In my past experience, it appears to me that the only way to get out of this hand safely is to just buy the pot and get the hand over with, especially if the two pair that you've flopped are the bottom two pair.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-23-2004, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Flopping two pair from BB

Well it probably depends on the # of people but since it was not raised preflop and you are (i'm assuming here) NOT against tricky players...it is not likely an overpair is on board...but if yoou have 32 and its t 3 2 then you should certainly bet b/c two overcards may be tempted to incorrectly call you...further, you may and certainly WILL be raised by at, kt, jt in which case you simply move in.

at least thats what i'd do....but you want your opponents to make mistakes against you!! when you have 32 and its K32 and you come out and bet too big they are right to fold...you want them to raise or call with less than they would if they knew what you had.

so unless you're going to "buy the pot" when you have nothing in the same manner you'd do it when you have something then i'd say make money on it.

OH, and i think i neglected something important!!!

if you have 32 on that T32 board...CHECK!! LET those overcards hit the board or if its bet c-r. AS LONG AS ITS NOT DANGEROUS to do so... the 32 helps 45 a whole lot and that check might give it the chance to outdraw you or the ace you think helped you get action really beats you.

but sometimes taking that chance to make money is worth it...just use your judgement.

questions? comments?
-Barron
Old 02-23-2004, 06:14 PM

If I'm against a flop of T32 and I have 32, I'm going to come out betting. My reasons are that I don't want to be put in a decision where i have no clue what to put my opponents on. Say they do have 45, and it checks through...if an ace falls, I am now faced with the question..."If someone comes out betting do they have 45 and just straighted, do they have a random ace and are now betting because they hit it, or do they have A3 and just now hit a two pair?" That's too many options for my liking, so I would rather eliminate a few of them with a solid bet I think.

But the big thing generally bites me in the ass in these situations is flush draws. It appears that every time I don't just outright buy the pot, the flush card hits and I have now lost, no matter if they have it or not, as I will fold off my two pair to any strong bets.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:19 PM

Check-raise all-in (assuming the stacks are not too deep). The reason for the check-raise is to see if any sets are out there before you dump it in, rather than dumping it in directly and only getting called by something better. You're right to be wary of this hand, and in my opinion it's better to use this as an image play. If called, it's not like you have a terrible hand. ALL IN WOO00000000!

Fistdantilus