Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 07:18 PM

Default ($22): 8-handed, way +$EV….but?

I’m curious as to how much some of you adjust your pushing standards based on the number of players left, if you adjust at all.

In the hand below, my stack size dictates that I push almost any two from the button here. JTs is +1.2% here if both the SB and BB will call with any two, so it’s not even close.

However, my stack is not that far below average, and even going through the blinds one more time I can double up and have an above average stack if no one busts. To counter this, at a nearly full table this scenario of being able to open from LP will be rare.

So, is this opportunity just way too good to pass up, or can I be patient knowing that a double up gives me healthy stack compared to my opponents?

PartyPoker - NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Tournament | Level: 5 - 8 players (Converter: PGC)

Chip Counts:
<font color="red">Hero: 770 Chips</font>
SB: 1380 Chips
BB: 480 Chips
UTG: 965 Chips
UTG+1: 2020 Chips
MP1: 910 Chips
MP2: 860 Chips
CO: 615 Chips

Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Blinds are 75/150

PreFlop
<font color="blue">UTG folds</font>, <font color="blue">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="blue">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="blue">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="blue">CO folds</font>, Hero ????
Old 11-22-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: ($22): 8-handed, way +$EV….but?

JTs is already a strong hot&amp;cold hand, but you'll need an even stronger hand to have the same positive expectation from the CO or earlier. PLUS you'll need everyone to fold to you again. This is an easy push.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I’m curious as to how much some of you adjust your pushing standards based on the number of players left, if you adjust at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. The more players left, the more aggressive you have to be when you get below 10BB, since there are more people between you and the money. You can't hope to sit back and let them bust each other out.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:45 PM

I'd sure vote for push.

The nuances of the SB's and BB's stacks are good for you, too. The BB is so short-stacked -- and has already surrendered 150 to the pot -- that he is getting good pot odds to play almost anything. Especially if the SB goes in ahead of him.

The SB knows this. So the SB is likely to tighten up a bit. He's now got no fold equity and no way to avoid being in a 3-way pot. So for the SB, low PPs in particular aren't worth calling in what is practically guaranteed to be a 3-way pot. Ditto for most non-broadway Qx and Kx hands, etc. Mabe even weak Ax hands.

That gives you a good shot at being HU with the BB alone. Let's assume he'll play almost any two, except maybe fold the bottom 1/3 of all possible hands.

No guarantees that it all works out. But if you want to snatch the blinds and play on w/ 1000 chips -- or maybe even bust out the SB and have 1500 -- this sure looks like your quickest, best hope of getting there.