Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is online poker rigged / not safe?
I don't know, but I am aware of the possibility 24 26.37%
I don't think so but I will suppose they are in order to take the poll 37 40.66%
Some are 12 13.19%
Yes 18 19.78%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2005, 01:12 AM

Default 3 bets to AQs in the SB

Played a long $20-40 session in Borgata today, had this hand early in the day and couldn't get it out of my head. Still wondering about it, ran some ranges on pokerstove and wonder what the consensus is here.

There's 1 EMP limper could have anything. MP, who's been playing quiet and tight, raises. Another mostly tight player in the CO, but who's been doing a lot of raising lately, 3 bets. Folded to you in the SB with AQs. Is this such an easy and standard play, or player/pot dependent?
Old 10-06-2005, 02:21 AM

Default Re: 3 bets to AQs in the SB

[ QUOTE ]
Played a long $20-40 session in Borgata today, had this hand early in the day and couldn't get it out of my head. Still wondering about it, ran some ranges on pokerstove and wonder what the consensus is here.

There's 1 EMP limper could have anything. MP, who's been playing quiet and tight, raises. Another mostly tight player in the CO, but who's been doing a lot of raising lately, 3 bets. Folded to you in the SB with AQs. Is this such an easy and standard play, or player/pot dependent?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, this depends on how the limper (and BB, to a lesser extent) will react to the raise. If he/they will call regardless, I am doing it. A big, multiway pot with AQs = [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 10-06-2005, 06:16 AM

I voted call. It's obviously close and as I can play decently post flop, maybe better than the others, I hope to make up whatever small EV loss I have (if any) on the flop.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:58 AM

fold this.. you got one tight player opening, and another tight player 3 betting. you say he has been raising a lot, but you described him as mostly tight, so dump it. even mostly tight players get hot runs of hands.

anyway.. either that or boom, 4 bets.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Results

I was really hoping to get more responses because AQs is a great hand multi-way and this situation had me thinking. But, as Daryn pointed out, not so great a hand against the tight raisers.

Anyway, I called, called around. Flop A99. Checked to 3 better who bets, I raise. Limper folds. Original raiser shows what is probably KK to the guy next to him and mucks. The 3 better calls.

Turn another A. A99A. I bet, he raises, I ask if he's got 4 nines while calling. I check/call the river and he has AKo. Chop it up.

I ran it on pokerstove with 4 players and 3 players. The limper I gave a random hand to. I gave the raiser and 3 better the same range, with the original raiser KQs. 88+, AQo+, ATs+. That was based on what I saw from them.

With those tight ranges, AQs against 3 players has 25% and 4 players 19%. Good arguement to fold.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Results

I don't like the flop raise.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With those tight ranges, AQs against 3 players has 25% ... Good arguement to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are in SB, therefore investing only 2.5 SB and assuming BB folds and it is called around to those 3 players, you are getting 10.5:2.5 or an investment representing 19% pot equity when your pot equity is 25%. So you are ahead by calling if your pf range assumptions are good. If BB comes in your advantage is similar. What have I missed? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 12:11 PM

why did you check-raise the flop?
Old 10-06-2005, 12:52 PM

Easy fold.

You are out of position with a drawing hand, possibly against AKo/s, AA-JJ. Against AK you are probably going to have to call down and lose. Against AA you're going to lose a lot of bets if an A or K flops. Against KK-JJ you're not going to make any bets back against good players if an ace flops.

THROW IT AWAY!

otherwise, i like the flop c/r. You could be trying to represent the 9, plus it keeps your opponent guessing a bit. Lucky for you, it was a nice chop.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:55 PM

Call the flop. Raising is foolish.