Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 11:39 AM

Default How am I doing? Diebitter, Jeff A., AaronBrown are you all out there?

I have been playing online only NLH at the $10.00 max buy in table .05 and .10 blinds for about 4 months. I play about 3.5 night a week and about 6 to 8 hours a night. I started playing poker online on 11/30/04 for play money and have been playing for real money for 4 months as stated above. I have made just over $1,700.00.

How am I doing on a scale from 1 to 10?

How can I get even better?

Should I move up? If so to what level? Next level is $25 max buy in 0.10 and 0.25 blinds and after that $50, $100, $200 and on up.

Any specific suggestions such as reading more, studying more, taking more detailed notes, getting a coach, poker camp or seminar, meditation, yoga, acupunture (LOL)?

One thing that bothers me is that I sometimes find myself in a heads up situation with an aggresive player who raises every hand preflop and bets every flop. I typically end up beating this type of guy by trapping him for all his money but it is frustrating to lay down so many hands and allow him to steal so many blinds and small pots. For example, I played a guy last night, he stole about $2.00 in blinds and small pots (remember I play $10.00 max buy in .05 and .10 blinds) before I trapped him for all of his money in a preflop all in, my AA vs his AQ. I won, took all his money in that one hand, game over, drive home safely (LOL).

My question is, is there a better way to play in this type of stituation?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: How am I doing? Diebitter, Jeff A., AaronBrown are you all out there?

Is there a better way to take all a guy's chips? Is this a real question or are you just backslapping here? What would be wrong with your strategy?

For the stakes you are playing, if you are indeed up that much you are obviously doing great. Again, you already know this. Are you waiting for all the congratulatory posts?

Do you feel like moving up? Do so. You have enough roll to move up and appear to be winning (based on the information provided). What's the hold up?
Old 09-08-2005, 12:22 PM

Default varoadstter

varoadstter all of my questions are serious. Yes it is a real question. I am not backslapping.

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a better way to take all a guy's chips? Is this a real question or are you just backslapping here? What would be wrong with your strategy?

For the stakes you are playing, if you are indeed up that much you are obviously doing great. Again, you already know this. Are you waiting for all the congratulatory posts?

Do you feel like moving up? Do so. You have enough roll to move up and appear to be winning (based on the information provided). What's the hold up?

[/ QUOTE ]

"What would be wrong with your strategy?"
I Feel so passive when I play this way. I am thinking maybe I should learn to be more aggressive.

I look at the fact that I have only $1,700 for 4 months work and maybe the competition is just weak at these limits.

The competition at the next level concerns me. Maybe it wil not be so easy, maybe the fish will be few and the sharks many.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: varoadstter

you're doing a hell of a lot better than me - I'd just leave the table against such a player personally, but if I had to, I'd raise hard with any pair above 55, Axs, A8+, KQ, KJs, QJs-65s and play hard if I have any outs on the flop (especially flush/straight draws).

Old 09-08-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: varoadstter

[ QUOTE ]
The competition at the next level concerns me. Maybe it wil not be so easy, maybe the fish will be few and the sharks many.

[/ QUOTE ]

The next level is $25 max. Take "few" and "many" in your sentence above, switch places, and the phrase will be technically correct.

It is $25 max buyin and you have $1700? And you haven't tried it yet? Congrads and all that on your success at micros, but it is time for you to start thinking about moving up.

Onaflag............
Old 09-08-2005, 03:00 PM

Default See what I mean Diebetter, I make stupid mistakes

Seat 1: JROONIE ( $25.07)
Seat 2: BluePig ( $5.50)
Seat 3: omo4ka ( $22.80)
Seat 4: alfa25 ( $27.35)
Seat 5: NavaroneGunz ( $5.20)
Seat 6: Gordon68111 ( $25.65)
Seat 7: Infinest ( $29.60)
Seat 8: Howcanplay ( $9.88)
Seat 9: mylesnewman ( $30.32)
Seat 10: cnatto ( $29.30)
cnatto posts small blind (0.10)
BluePig posts big blind (0.25)
Howcanplay posts big blind (0.25)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Infinest [ Ks, As ]
omo4ka folds.
NavaroneGunz folds.
Gordon68111 folds.
Infinest calls (0.25)
Howcanplay checks.
mylesnewman raises (1.35) to 1.35
cnatto folds.
BluePig folds.
Infinest calls (1.10)
Howcanplay folds.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Ad, 5s, 6s ]
Infinest checks.
mylesnewman bets (2)
Infinest raises (4) to 4
mylesnewman calls (2)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 9d ]
Infinest checks.
mylesnewman bets (3)
Infinest raises (6) to 6
mylesnewman calls (3)
** Dealing River ** : [ Js ]
Infinest checks. "Mistake here I should have bet but I thought he would bet it again"
mylesnewman checks.
** Summary **
Main Pot: $22.15 | Rake: $1.15
Board: [ Ad 5s 6s 9d Js ]
JROONIE balance $25.07, sits out
BluePig balance $5.25, lost $0.25 (folded)
omo4ka balance $22.80, didn't bet (folded)
alfa25 balance $27.35, sits out
NavaroneGunz balance $5.20, didn't bet (folded)
Gordon68111 balance $25.65, didn't bet (folded)
Infinest balance $40.40, bet $11.35, collected $22.15, net +$10.80 [ Ks As ] [ a flush, ace high -- As,Ks,Js,6s,5s ]
Howcanplay balance $9.63, lost $0.25 (folded)
mylesnewman balance $18.97, lost $11.35 [ Ah Qc ] [ a pair of aces -- Ah,Ad,Qc,Js,9d ]
cnatto balance $29.20, lost $0.10 (folded)

"I had him beat all the way"
Old 09-08-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: See what I mean Diebetter, I make stupid mistakes

"I had him beat all the way" What happen? How can I avoid stupid mistakes like these? How much would you have bet on the end or would you have checked again like my stupid ass did? I did not think before I checked, the action was fast. he kept betting and I kept check raising. I just automatically thought he would bet it again on the river. Dam I messed up. He saw that flush on the board and figured he would just play it safe with a showdown. Why didn't I just bet a quarter a dollar, something, $5.00 would have even been reasonable. I rush it without thinking. I am still a dam rookie. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: See what I mean Diebetter, I make stupid mistakes

Well, that's a bit more to go on than just the description you provided earlier. It looks like you are definitely playing weak and that will cost you money in the long run.

As for making mistakes - we all do it. Particularly in hindsight (oh, I was ahead the whole way, I should have been betting!). From this example, I do think you may want to work on putting your opponent on hands. If you had done that here, you would have played it differently, I believe (and either made more money or not have had to show your hand).

Move up. Can't be afraid of monsters under the bed all the time, though.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: How am I doing? Diebitter, Jeff A., AaronBrown are you all out there?

[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing online only NLH at the $10.00 max buy in table .05 and .10 blinds for about 4 months. I play about 3.5 night a week and about 6 to 8 hours a night. I started playing poker online on 11/30/04 for play money and have been playing for real money for 4 months as stated above. I have made just over $1,700.00.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are wasting your time at NL 10. You are crushing that game for a lousy wage rate ($5/hour). Move up immediately.

You have the bankroll a winning player would need for NL 100. That doesn't mean you should play NL 100, since you might not have a good win rate at NL 100, and you might not be psychologically prepared for the losing streaks you will see when you move up from penny-ante games. However, if you like money, you should start to move up now and keep going as your skills develop.

By the way, many NL 100 players win about $20/100 hands, or about $12-$18/table-hour, and this rate can be maintained while playing 4 tables at a time.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:01 PM

Default varoadstter

varoadstter how would you have played the hand. I put him on an ace and was concern that if I come at him to strong I would lose him. I was suprised that he called both my check raises on the flop and the turn. I figured he was in calling station mode or playing sheriff mode because he got out drawn on the last card a few hands earlier. After this happened he made a big raise on 3 hands in a row and stole the blinds and bring ins. He was mad and slightly on tilt but I was concerned he was not tilted enough to call an all in bet or a big bet from me. You see I had establish a table image of a tight aggressive player. I had won a few good size pots and shown down only big hands. In addition I had raise him once and bet into him another time and he laid down easy and quick. But you are right, I should have got more or all of his money on that hand. I think my two check raises were good plays, I just should have bet something on the end.

Please tell em how you would have played it on preflop, flop, turn and river.

Thanks