Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2004, 01:06 AM

Default Jay!\'s Hands

Jay, you have to take out the ">"'s before you stick the hands in the converter for it to work. Just do a find + replace.

Onward! To understand these hands fully, realize that Jay! only sees the flop about 3% of the time. To each his own however, and I'll not be criticising his brick-like preflop demeanor. Any more, at least. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Hand 1:
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (8 handed)

BB ($209)
UTG ($84)
UTG+1 ($383.90)
MP1 ($148.95)
MP2 ($100)
CO ($99.60)
Hero ($149)
SB ($51.95)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Hero raises to $8, SB folds, BB calls $6.

Flop: ($17) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets $16, BB calls $16.

Turn: ($49) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets $30, BB folds.

Final Pot: $79

I think you gave him 1 barrel too many. Check-fold. Even complete idiots can have something and call you down.

Hand 2:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (8 handed)

MP2 ($80)
CO ($402.30)
Button ($109.95)
SB ($94)
BB ($100)
UTG ($99.60)
Hero ($174.55)
MP1 ($48.95)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, Hero calls $2, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls $2, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($8) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $7, Button folds, SB calls $7, BB folds.

Turn: ($22) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets $20, SB calls $20.

River: ($62) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $62

This one is a little more debatable either way, but you have a drawless board and he calls your flop bet. My suggestion would be to overbet the flop if you want to test him, rather than betting twice. Costs less when you're behind. Also: betting into the button would be fine if there wasn't an Ace on the board.

Hand 3:
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (10 handed)

UTG+2 ($98)
MP1 ($80)
MP2 ($402.30)
MP3 ($107.95)
CO ($124)
Button ($97)
SB ($97.60)
BB ($98)
Hero ($161.20)
UTG+1 ($38.95)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero raises to $10, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $10, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($23) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $20, MP3 calls $20.

Turn: ($63) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 bets $20, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $83

Looks good.

Hand 4:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (9 handed)

UTG+1 ($205.75)
MP1 ($215.80)
MP2 ($187.50)
MP3 ($218.75)
CO ($97)
Button ($158.80)
Hero ($215.55)
BB ($100)
UTG ($131.25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $2, MP1 calls $2, MP2 calls $2, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($10) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: ($10) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero bets $8, BB calls $8, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds.

River: ($26) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $20, BB folds.

Final Pot: $46

This is kind of amazing that you don't get reamed on one of these. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Again, 1 barrel too many IMO.

Hand 5:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (9 handed)

MP3 ($141.55)
CO ($176.80)
Button ($258.15)
SB ($203.65)
BB ($32.75)
UTG ($184.65)
UTG+1 ($187.75)
MP1 ($87.35)
Hero ($138.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $2, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls $2, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB raises to $4, UTG calls $2, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($13) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB bets $3, UTG calls $3, Hero raises to $6, BB calls $3, UTG calls $3.

Turn: ($31) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: ($31) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB bets $3, UTG raises to $6, Hero calls $6, BB folds.

Final Pot: $46

I'm not a fan of the min-raise. It's just begging for someone to come back over the top when they have it. Yes you want more money in the pot, so why not bet the turn instead?

I'm just not sure that I'm a fan of the "long" bluff. You are a very tight player, and these people are still calling your bets. It seems to work for you however, and I'll have to give it a try sometime.

You seem like a player who takes what he can and gives absolutely nothing back, but I wonder if you are giving up value by being so tight [preflop]. Eh, what do I know. I'm loose as a goose and twice as wild.

Fun times though.

Fistdantilus
Old 03-11-2004, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Jay!\'s Hands

The second-barrel bluffs all seem like a matter of style to me, obviously Jay! feels like they work for him and I'm not inclined to disagree. That's an example of the kind of thing that's tough to get a handle on from bulk HH's, and selected HH's even more so.

I definitely agree with Fist on that min-raise with your A-high flush draw. Two reasons: #1 I hate it when I make that little raise to get money in the pot and the bettor comes back over the top, making me fold a draw I'd like to see more cards with. #2 Min-raises absolutely scream "I have a good draw" to me from good players, for whom a min-raise is very out of character in a multi-way pot like this. I'm guessing you don't make too many mr's in other situations.

IIRC, Brunson mentions this as a decent spot to make a good-sized semi-bluff, so that may be an alternative.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:57 PM

Jay! couple of questions. On the first hand, what was your thinking behind firing the second barrel on the turn? That's a play I never make anymore...

On the second hand, I would never bet the flop there, but on the turn an ace comes and my thinking would be that that ace makes it a lot less likely that my opponent has one, so because that ace came out it made my opponents hand weaker, if I had bet the flop and that card came out, then I'd bet the turn. Was your reasoning similar?

danny
Old 03-11-2004, 01:58 PM

BTW, I like the way you play, very agressive.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:33 PM

First hand.

Think of possible hands he could could here and think how happy the average party poker player will be with those hands when he gets another bet thrown at him. Remember he's the BB.

My thinking was the same as ours for the next hand.