Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2004, 02:39 PM

Default And I still can\'t get rid of the skirt

How bad was this play? The guy told me he had a 9 when it was over, do you think that would be right? I saw monsters and thought he probably had a flush.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed) converter

BB ($48)
UTG ($54.90)
UTG+1 ($45)
UTG+2 ($50)
Hero ($250.36)
MP2 ($43.85)
MP3 ($103.15)
CO ($89.50)
Button ($48.50)
SB ($59.45)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls $1, MP2 calls $1, MP3 calls $1, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($4.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets $2, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $2, BB folds.

Turn: ($8.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $2, MP3 calls $2.

River: ($12.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $2, MP3 raises to $10, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $24.50

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Outcome: MP3 wins $24.50. </font>
Old 03-05-2004, 03:25 PM

Default Re: And I still can\'t get rid of the skirt

Preflop: I very much prefer to open raise KQo over open limping with it.

Flop: There's a flush draw out there, your bet wasn't enough to keep them from drawing.

Turn: What are you hoping to accomplish with a $2 bet? A made flush will call/raise, 2 pair will call/raise, a hand with a high heart will call/raise, top pair will call/raise, a straight draw will call. Bet more and see if your opponents are serious or not.

River: It costs you $8 to call and the pot is $16? The flush got there, the wheel got there, I think you can fold top pair with a clear conscience.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:39 PM

You are at a severe disadvantage by betting these tiny amounts. You can't get paid off on good hands, and you can't push people out. You're losing value all over the place.

Fistdantilus
Old 03-06-2004, 02:04 AM

As you can see I don't have betting down at no-limit, so when in doubt should I just go for the pot size bet?
Old 03-06-2004, 10:06 AM

Certainly not a bad rule of thumb.

Another one I like, if all else fails, is "bet when you're ahead, check when behind." [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But understanding is better than generalizations. On the flop, you are probably ahead, but others could have draws that could beat you. You want to charge those draws as much as they will pay to see more cards. Think of this in terms of the fundamental theorem of poker- you want them to be making -EV moves.

On the other hand, someone could have a set and be ahead of you now, so you obviously don't want to push your stack in to try to win $4.50. Plus, the draws probably wouldn't make that -EV of a call anyway. So betting pot is a good balance between these considerations.

As for the turn/river bets, these sorts of bets show weakness and cost money (as opposed to checking). In general, if you are out of position and unsure about your situation you should either save your $ and check or represent strength and make a substantial (again, roughly pot-sized) bet.

-muz