Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Small Issue with Andy Fox Article

[ QUOTE ]

Fox's main message may be that a successful solid player, like the previously mentioned, may have reasons to leave a good game, with which we may not agree or even understand.

[/ QUOTE ]
That Andy Fox was not able to articulate a good reason for leaving this game, and leaves us to use our imagination, argues for a simple explanation: A successful, solid player can make massively -EV decisions that should not be emulated.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:03 AM

My point was that while I may not have been able to articulate exactly what his reasons for leaving the game were at the time, he may have had perfectly good and logical reasons for so doing, that might have been correct from both a strictly numerical EV standpoint and psychologically. Assuming those reasons were indeed logically correct, we should not emulate his decision unless all things are equal, and they are not always thus.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My point was that while I may not have been able to articulate exactly what his reasons for leaving the game were at the time, he may have had perfectly good and logical reasons for so doing, that might have been correct from both a strictly numerical EV standpoint and psychologically.

[/ QUOTE ]
You, the pro, and people on this thread have given several specious arguments for quitting. That is, the justifications are superficially relevant, but fail to rationalize the observed behavior. If you want to claim that the pro might be rational in quitting, you should be able to come up with a real scenario in which it would be right to be in a good game, and then quit after winning a big pot which confirmed how good the game was.

Your "point" was an assertion you failed to justify. It was not a logical conclusion you drew from what you observed (at least, what you reported in the article) or assumed. It appears to be something you would like to believe. An example of a conclusion you could have drawn is that even pros seem to make mistakes managing their bankrolls and opportunities. Or, even pros pay a lot of equity to try to be ahead at the end of an accounting period.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:54 PM

"Specious" is a subjective term because it involves appearance. The dictionary deifinition, something that apparently is good or right but lacks real merit, hits the nail on the head. What lacks merit for you or me might have real merit for him, either substantively or psychologically. To assume that it was a mistake for that particular player at that particular time in his particular circumstance without knowing anything about those factors is presumptuous.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I see only three good reasons for leaving any +EV game:

[/ QUOTE ]

Add: There is a higher +EV situation elsewhere (ie: Four of your favorite fish just started a new table at the other side of the room)
Old 11-14-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Andy,

I enjoyed your article. Nice writing.

[/ QUOTE ]

And nice message that money shouldn't be the only factor in a decision to stay/go.

-g