Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 09:44 AM

Default middle pair against VERY tight player played badly

I know already that my flop raise sucks bad but you can criticize it some more.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

I always raise ATs, so A9s can't be that bad. Specially when the players to my left USUALLY don't cold-call. I was not happy to get 3-bet. He was 12/8/6 after 50 hands. So very tight.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

My thinking, very flawed, was that if I raise, I can knock out the third player. If I get 3-bet by this tight raiser, I know I am behind. I can peel one due to odds and then fold.

I guess I should just call and let him bluff if he has UI overs or something (I don't believe he has. He must have at least a pair).

edit: what are the good places to raise middle pair? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Turn: (7.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 12-12-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Re: middle pair against VERY tight player played badly

Flop raise is completely fine, he could easily have just overs here. NH.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:17 AM

You played this hand exactly the same as i would have..if thats good or not is another thing as i know for a fact im too aggro.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:22 AM

OK, maybe it wasn't so bad [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Afterwards I started thinking (thanks to my AIM buddy) that WA/WB-line would be better?
Old 12-12-2005, 10:22 AM

So you're behind: AA KK QQ JJ TT 99 AT on the flop + AJ on the turn.

from the play it looks more like AA - TT or ATo.

Because of this i dont like the flop raise, Sure you get value when ahead but i dont see you being ahead often of 8% PFR(Small sample size, but i think 50 hands is a indication anyhow, limited information that im willing to use).

Now if we are against the AK bluffs etc i WANT THEM TO CONTINUE TO BLUFF THE TURN.

So i call the flop, Call the turn(Most likly if i have odds).

The way you played it, Well your miles behind AT/AJ and TT and AA but drawing good vs the rest.

So id say drawing is ok, i dont fear AA/TT often in these spots but they are possibilitys.

Hence i said to you on AIM, Call the flop.

To clarfy we're:
WA: AK/AQ
WB:AA/TT/AT/99/(AJ/JJ turn)
Drawing but behind:KK/QQ/JJ(but behind on the turn)

Hmm after further analysis(Was busy when you sent me it via AIM) We most likly behind and theres more hands we're behind than ahead.

So i think your flop raise is bad... but the turn fold is fine.

This is a grunch, Infact right now i just got home and this page was left open so i see no replies [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'd probably call the flop, Fold the turn.