Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Re: How to act in a cardroom...not in FAQ.

[ QUOTE ]
what i have found out to be a real good while talking it makes it alot easier to play tight because you are cutting the bordum of folding hands bye talking to a guy next to you,being a regular in a cardroom it happens u see the other guys that u respect when they play a hand those are ussually the guys i talk to

GO WHITE SOX

[/ QUOTE ]

OK clarification on my origional post. I talk between hands just fine. Just when I am involved I get silent. Is this a problem?
Old 10-27-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what i have found out to be a real good while talking it makes it alot easier to play tight because you are cutting the bordum of folding hands bye talking to a guy next to you,being a regular in a cardroom it happens u see the other guys that u respect when they play a hand those are ussually the guys i talk to

GO WHITE SOX

[/ QUOTE ]

OK clarification on my origional post. I talk between hands just fine. Just when I am involved I get silent. Is this a problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a problem. You don't need to talk to anyone while you're in a hand. It would be very bad form for a player out of the hand to try to engage you in conversation, while you're in the hand.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

GO WHITE SOX

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No I would definitely try to avoid talking while you're involved in a hand. If I'm mid conversation and I get involved in a opt (or the person I'm talking to does) then I say "just a second" and resume talking after the hand.

When my girlfriend started playing she got distracted when someone was talking to her during a hand and the dealer ended up mucking her KK just after she put in a raise preflop. I think she learned a lesson from that one since she would have raked a big pot.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:46 PM

Do the statue thing in hands and be completely social, jovial or even a little loud when not in a hand. It works great for me. I'm a really talkative person (the term "loudmouth" has been used on more than one occasion) but everyone at the table quickly figures out that I'm just flat NOT going to talk or "emote" while my money is on the line.

This technique did require some practice on my end before I became adept with it... I kept talking during hands, possibly giving information.

edit: I started doing this instead of the perma-statue because people don't like to lose to statues but they don't really mind too much if you say, "WHEW! I wasn't sure if I was good there.... hey waitress, COCKTAILS!", after I drag a pot they fold on the river to me.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:51 PM

This is a good player during a hand.

This is a good player between hands.

Any questions?
Old 10-27-2005, 08:51 PM

I think, too, you should act how you are comfortable. If you are uncomfortable chatting and playing at the same time then that might created problems for yourself.