Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Punish the Limpers? Party $109 hand.

Been at the table for about 12 hands. There was one hand very similar where UTG in this hand limped, several followed behind, someone pushed, everyone folded.

420 entrants, 100 left. Party $109

Blinds: 100/200

Here (2170) is in the BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

UTG (3521) limps
2 folds
MP (6255) limps
3 folds
Button (3645) limps
SB (5637) limps

Pot is 1000 and hero has 1970 behind.

Check and see a flop or punish the limpers and push? What about making a normal raise to around 1000?
Old 08-09-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Punish the Limpers? Party $109 hand.

I like making it 1000. Enough though you might get one caller a push on the flop might scare em off. And while this may seemingly pot commit you, at least on a totally horendous flop you can abort.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like making it 1000. Enough though you might get one caller a push on the flop might scare em off. And while this may seemingly pot commit you, at least on a totally horendous flop you can abort.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think harrington advocates something like this. I think it's pretty terrible.

Edit: I think I rather push than check here. Calling and losing will put a serious dent in anyone's stack, and your cards are probably live when you get called. Risking about 2000 to win 1000 with folding equity pretty high. I don't feel like doing the math, but this is surely +EV to push.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought about that line as well, at least in terms of raising it up to 1000. But only to represent a big hand. Problem is that with 1000 already in the pot I'm likely to get a caller from one of the larger stacks.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:06 AM

I think normally I check and see a flop here...

However, I think your table image is a big consideration here. Being new to the table is definitely an advantage. I'm assuming you haven't really done anything yet. I think you get looked up by 66-TT fairly often here though...

Raise to 1000 is the worst of the 3 options IMO.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:20 AM

Thinking about this a little more, any horrendous flop for you would probably fit a hand you are trying to represent. Having done this move in the past I have to say I get looked up by pairs 66-1010 50% of the time.

One other thing to think about is how effective this might be if your chip stack was bigger. I often see this move in a tournament when the big stack is in ur position and finding everyone folding because he has them covered. This might be a spot where checking and hoping to hit something is your best option until you get some more chips.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:24 AM

I would generally check here. There is too much chance you are dominated by a pp. Either someone could be trapping with AA or KK or someone who limped with 55-TT could decide to call.

There is enough money in the pot to give some pot odds to a call. Plus a push from the BB is suspicious. Since you are new to the table, you don't know if you have the right conditions in that people will fold to a push or big raise.

75s isn't a bad hand to see a flop with in a limped pot.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:27 AM

You are down to 10BB's and there is enough dead $$$ in the pot to make a difference to your tourney, I push.

I hate your hand as if called you may be dominated, but this is too good a situation to pass up.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 08-09-2005, 10:49 AM

I've been thinking about the conventional wisdom that you should be punishing limpers with hands like this. On PP, I see limp-calls MUCH more often with middle pairs than I do with AJ. In fact I dont know that I have ever been called in this spot with an ace, only PPs ranging from KK-22. (100$ MTT someone limped behind 3 limpers with KK, I pushed AJ from the SB and sucked out).

If you will only get called by middle pairs, your hand is pretty much only worth it's folding equity. Although a big stack may look you up with AT in a spot like this.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:55 AM

With hands like this, I much prefer seeing the flop.You dont get much chance in the later stages to take a good *potential* hand in a multi-way pot, so I like to excercise that option if I get the chance.