Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: How do you guys go on such insane downswings?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I play 6 max limit, which is very swingy. Here is an excerpt from what must be some of the craziest 12k hands ever. Note the 200BB upswing in less than 1500 hands, which was all lost back in the next 1000, finally bottoming out at a 350 BB downswing. And that ultra steep line at 11k? Try 290BB in 170 hands.

Anyone who doesn't experience these type of swings must be playing an uber-rockish game, or playing so successfully that he'd be better off moving up a level (or two).

[/ QUOTE ]

Is no one else completely amaized by that 290bb upswing in less than 200 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I saw that spike, and was like WTF, is that even possible, and what was the BB/100 for that little stretch 140+ simply insane

unless he took the nuts for 200BB on the river on interpoker or something
Old 11-28-2005, 08:32 PM

Default Re: Here\'s how.

Throw out the charts already! Learn to adjust your pfr standards by table texture. With your numbers you are good at coming up with reasons not to raise according to game texture but not seeing the opportunities to raise that every table has. The games you describe are bad ones for isolation raises but in very loose games you will have many opportunities to value raises with lower pocket pairs and suited connectors. When the table tightens up start stealing and isolating (especially from the SB vs a limper) with your offsuit hands with highcard strength that you would ordinarily fold. In very aggressive games you will need to be comfortable with isolation 3-betting pf from LP and the SB or else you will get eaten alive!

The best way to get a more aggro mindset is to play shorthanded. These games vary wildly from minute to minute and adjustment is key. Play some low-limit shorthanded games ASAP and you will learn the value of pfr vs loose players who will cold-call and limp with garbage. Your variance might increase but your bottom line will thank you! You will see maniacs who will be raising every other hand and either you learn to 3-bet their asses or fold your blinds away until you go broke. You will also learn how to make plays for the pot after the flop that you might be letting slip away too frquently now (I suspect that is truly your biggest leak considering the number of time you check and fold the flop. Also make sure you understand implied odds because in the loose games you describe you must be going to SD a lot more) If you go the SH route and really work hard on being a winner in those games your full-ring aggression and looseness will dramatically improve.

Also a note about being too tight pf and not raising enough that has been mentioned but needs reiterating. Playing too tightly will occasionally (sometimes frequently) kill the action for your good hands when others at the table are paying attention. This can add up to a major leak! You must learn to play more hands "breakeven or better" so that your premium hands will get paid off. If at full-ring you play 18-22/10-14/2+ you will be less predicatble and others will play with you more often thus increasing your overall earn when your premium hands get a few more dance partners. You will also become a better player because you will be in more marginal/ challenging situations more often and will learn to handle them better and better as time goes on.

To the OP I have played about 150K hands online and have never had a downswing of over 175BB's. Am I just lucky? YES!!!! In fact I consider myself the biggest luckbox on the planet and have no question that I will have a 300+ one in my future unless I truly am blessed by the poker gods. I swear I have 50BB's swings in a session every other time I play. I'll be hot as a pistol and be up 25BB's in the firt 10 minutes and a half hour later I'll be stuck for 25BB. It's so common that I barely know it's happening anymore. It is so freaking easy to loose 50BB's in an aggressive limit game when you are playing aggressively that the idea of stringing 6 of those together, tilt or no tilt, is ridiculously easy to imagine.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I used to hunt down commie spies and terminate them, and now I'm a screenwriter

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my favorite part of the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-29-2005, 05:46 PM

Guthrie you shouldve posted in micro.

Of course you wouldnt have gotten a response from Kong daddy then as I dont think he has visited microland since his epic 'why are you crushing' post.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:53 PM

Default GentlemanGerry ....

I guarantee that GentlemanGerry is the same as our old friend, The-Matador, Sophia, CinnomonWind, PuppyKicker, Lansing ....

Need I say more?

Adam
Old 11-29-2005, 08:21 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: GentlemanGerry ....

[ QUOTE ]
I guarantee that GentlemanGerry is the same as our old friend, The-Matador, Sophia, CinnomonWind, PuppyKicker, Lansing ....

Need I say more?

[/ QUOTE ]

this has already been confirmed by the IP addresses
Old 11-29-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Need I say more?

[/ QUOTE ]

this has already been confirmed by the IP addresses

[/ QUOTE ]

Man i should be a detective.
-James
Old 11-29-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Need I say more?

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

Guarantee it now that mods have intimated it on every thread I've been on for the last 2 weeks?

Way to go Internet Sleuth.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:56 PM

Ah, this underscores a point or two that I think is important when treating this at though it were, say, like securities trading or other risk management sort of business. Definitions...

Here's a few I think are fair and don't allow any wiggle room for fooling yourself.

1) Downswing: You are in a downswing until you have more capital than at your last high water mark. I.E. New money above your last highest point. Ups and downs therein might be considered "noise".

2) Spendable Profit: You don't have a secure spendable profit until you have twice you maxiumum downswing plus $0.01. I.E. until you can sustain a maximum downswing and still have more money than you started with, you don't really have a profit.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, you're either lying, on drugs, or too boastful. None of those are good (away from the poker table).

[/ QUOTE ]

I imagine it's something along the lines of:

Lose 150 BB
Win 50 BB
Lose 150 BB
Win 50 BB
Lose 100 BB

Whoops! That's not a 300 BB downswing because he has won money and hence been on an upswing since his last "downswing" of 150 BB! Now he can claim that his current downswing is only 100 BB!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-30-2005, 01:46 AM

dogmeat: the play is even EV. i will provide no further explanation.

evan: the play is +EV. i will provide no further explanation.

I don't see why either party is any more 'in the right' or should have been any more obligated than the other one to provide further explanation.