Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Easy river value bet?

I wasn't sure if he was slowplaying the nut flush or if he just sucked. I figure if he gives me river action then I'm beaten, so I checked behind. Stars $16 turbo.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter

Hero (t1480)
MP1 (t1070)
MP2 (t1420)
CO (t3990)
Button (t1500)
SB (t1040)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (t135) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, CO folds, BB folds, UTG calls t120.

Turn: (t435) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t120</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, UTG calls t280.

River: (t1235) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: t1235
Old 08-07-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Easy river value bet?

I think I probably toss out a small bet here. There are a reasonable number of people at this level who will call with a Q, with two pair, or with a straight. Checking is fine, too, and is definitely the safe play; against opposition that I think is competent, it's what I'm doing here, usually.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I probably toss out a small bet here.

[/ QUOTE ]

And when you get reraised all-in?

I think a check is the prudent play here.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:31 PM

Durron,

Weird line villain took by betting the minimum on the flop, calling the raise, leading the turn for such a small amount, calling another substantial raise, and then checking the river. I would think the nut flush would make a nice value bet on the river thinking you would call since you've raised each street. I agree with your check on the river because I cannnot think of any reasonable hand that would pay you off on that board that you beat. If you did bet, a raise would make you throw up. I think you played it fine on each street. My only question is why the big raise on the turn? Was it for information, or did you think he was drawing with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and you wanted to charge the draw?
Old 08-07-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And when you get reraised all-in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's bad news, and that's why you need to gauge your opponent. Good opponents are either not going to call your bet or are going to raise you. Bad opponents will call you with garbage, and occasionally you'll get reraised. Against the latter type, you can sometimes extract a little extra value here on the river.

There's no doubt that it is often a good idea to check behind on the river because bets you make will gain you nothing when ahead and lose money when behind. However, I think it's possible to take this idea too far and fail to make value bets on the river against opposition that will call too much. It's a judgment call. I don't have a problem with checking here, but against some opponents I think betting is good.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My only question is why the big raise on the turn? Was it for information, or did you think he was drawing with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and you wanted to charge the draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

You hit it on the head.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:40 PM

Think you have to bet this river.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet/fold or bet/call? I think I puke if I get raised here and I'm not sure what worse hands call me except a baby flush.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet/fold or bet/call? I think I puke if I get raised here and I'm not sure what worse hands call me except a baby flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably bet/fold. But I think two pair/set/straight will pay you off much more often than higher flush will re-raise all in.

If I had the nut flush there is no way I would check this river.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I had the nut flush there is no way I would check this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even after an unknows $16 player *raised* the flop and turn?