Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 07:20 AM

Default Re: OESD\'s checked to in position - do you bet these?

scrapperdog wtf? i ramble a lot but come on.

[ QUOTE ]
You cant be in fear of a check raise. It might happen but until it does I dont worry much about it on the flop. I worry about it a lot more on the river when the pot has gotten big.

[/ QUOTE ]

You find your check-raised more on the river than on the flop? If you have the nut straight on the river why would you care?

[ QUOTE ]
a giant bluff sized bet

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this part of your game?

[ QUOTE ]
This is another reason that I think a normal sized bet is good. Once people start putting money in the pot they dont want to let go, even if a strait possibility shows up. If they have nothing invested in the pot they drop it like a hot potato when a scare card hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's definitely the main reason why a big bet on the flop is wrong. You nailed it. If someone calls, they will be pot-committed!

[ QUOTE ]
I am 90% sure you will make more money off this hand in the long run by betting this flop instead of checking it.

[/ QUOTE ]
That depends on table conditions and obviously what your opponents hold. 90% sure, eh?

[ QUOTE ]
they overbet at the pot instead of a normal bet, then feel the need to move in on turn when they miss. I even see this encouraged in this forum sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is there a play money forum now? I must have missed this post...
Old 12-18-2005, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in postion checked to me I bet it 100% of the time,

[/ QUOTE ]

Without even putting intelligent thought to this, this isn't right.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:23 AM

You are entitled to your opinion, I am entitled to mine. Keep checking your strait flush draws in postion.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:24 AM

Strange, I didn't see a single post in this thread about a strait flush draw or even about a straight flush draw for that matter.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:28 AM

My bad, you are right. I take back my comments, it is late. Get rid of the dufus with the hat. I still bet it a lot though!
Old 12-18-2005, 07:39 AM

This thread as a whole just doesn't make sense. If you're mixing up your play, you would never conform to a strict standard of "i always/usually bet this". If you're playing super-tight ABC poker, you would never bet this when given a chance at a free look at the turn.

Poker is about principles, not rules people. Sure, a year ago my first question (to MarkL444, never said thanks for the redirect to here) was "blah blah blah I had Q9 blah blah the board is Qxxx can i call?"

No offense, beavens, maybe your question was just to stimulate discussion. But the answers to your question should become evident as you learn how your opponents play and whichever blend of poker you find most efficient.

As a side note, if anything, I think betting an OESD on the flop COULD result in chipspewing on later streets when an opponent donk-bets the turn and you are denied odds yet do not getaway or as you make a pair and choose to make a losing river call there. While it is results-oriented, nothing beats checking a flop and seeing a nasty turn that your opponent bets (and probably would have called flop anyway) and you can easily fold as the pot is very small and your equity just shot down. Just try playing on a site/table where opponents peel with any two, any gutshot, any backdoor draw and you'll see what i mean.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My bad, you are right. I take back my comments, it is late. Get rid of the dufus with the hat. I still bet it a lot though!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't hate. He shall forever be present in random posts in these forums.