Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 08:38 PM

Default NL Learning Process

I've been on and off with limit poker for a couple years. In the past 2-3 months, I've gotten the NL tourney bug and have been playing online 2-table SnG's at the $22 level on Party. Through about 40 tournies I have done fairly well.*

I am currrently just finishing up HoH II after reading HoH I. So basically, I am reading and playing at the same time. I really like those books - they seem pretty logical to me for the most part. And I really like the NL game - much more interesting than I thought.

So now I just need a game plan. Should I be playing different types of tournies more, or consider playing live? (I live near Tunica). How about books - re-read HoH, or read some other stuff? (I have the Phil Gordon video ready to go as well.)

How about the levels on Party? Do the games get much tougher as you move up?

The basic point of this post is to make sure I dont miss anything in the learning process, so all ideas appreciated.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:52 PM

Default Re: NL Learning Process

Keeping records of your hands, posting hands, discussing poker with anyone you can find, thinking about poker all the time.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:27 AM

From what I've seen, Stars has the best S&G setup. They have 9,18,27,45 & 180 player tournys that fill up quickly.

I recently finished 2nd in a 180 (OK, I'm bragging). It took 4 hours. So, if you play that one, make sure you have the time.

Keep track of the number of players at your table. In the 2,3 & 5 tablers, there will come a time before the tables are merged when you'll be playing six or even five handed. A lot of players don't make adjustments. If you do, you'll be a step ahead.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I recently finished 2nd in a 180 (OK, I'm bragging). It took 4 hours. So, if you play that one, make sure you have the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good goin! I am looking towards playing these occasionally.