Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-09-2005, 02:25 AM

Default J6o hand in BB

5-5 NLHE 500 buy in at a private club with weird rules (i.e. short-stack pushes can create big reraises from the original bettor, etc. etc.). Stacks seem to be pretty normal for a live game that's been going a few hours, with a few people at about 1500 and a couple guys at maybe 200. Hero has probably 1000 at the time, maybe 800 or so, but is perhaps a little less than even for the session.

Table is 8-handed at this point.

Villain in this hand is somewhat loose and he's shown some bluffs in the past and they've been big. He's also kinda unsophisticated about the game. He happens to be on a huge heater. I think he bought in for $240 and he's sitting on about $1500 in chips.

For the purposes of reads I'm going to give you the next two major hands played between hero and villain. This is consistent with the play during the last few hours.

---

Hand #1: bad play alert! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

1) (hero 480, villain covers). A round after the hand in question, Villain is dealt cards but isn't sitting at the table (he called "Deal me in!"). Villain is in SB, dealer declares that villain checks, hero checks in the BB with T6s (5-way pot). Flop is Qxx 2tn with my suit. Turn is a little card in my suit, I check with the flush, it's checked through, and the river is an ace. Villain's been pretty active before this point, but he seems a little hesitant to get involved with me. He bets out $25 on the river (full pot). I ask him, "Did you even look at your cards?" He says he did. I raise him to $125. Everyone folds and he calls without a flush. And mucked, saying he had AQ.

2) Next hand, (Hero: 600, villain covers) villain raises on the button to $25. Hero reraises in SB to $100, villain calls. Board is 975. Hero bets 150, villain calls. Turn is an 8. Hero pushes for $350, villain calls with ATs for an OESD + OC.

---

Hand in question:

Hero in SB with J6o. Hero has about 800. Villain covers. 5 way unraised pot. Villain is in on button. In the CO is a kinda tight player who I'm pretty sure is a nut peddler, but he tends to call down a little too much with top pair. I think I've seen him play a few hands that were too loose: K8o limped, etc. But it's not often. Post-flop he's pretty tight. CO has about $1500-$2000 in chips.

Preflop: 2 limps, CO limps, Button limps, 2 blinds check. Pot $30. Hero is in SB with J6o.

Flop: J96 two tone.

It's checked to the CO who bets $30. Button calls. I raise to $130. It's folded to the CO who folds. Button calls. Pot: $310 after rake.

Turn is a 4 of trump. I bet $150. Villain calls. Pot: $605, rake is maxed.

River is a 7 offsuit. Hero has about 3-500 left in his stack on a $600 pot. Hero to act...

??

Because it was a live game, I don't quite have records for this. I think I had between 350 and 400 left, and I bet out $150...

What do you guys think?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:19 AM

Default Re: J6o hand in BB

I think it wasn't that long ago I read you posting SSLH at limits like 2/4 so you must be doing pretty well. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Is the river bet a blocking bet? I think a little more like 200 (1/3 PSB) is less likely to get raised big by a bluff as you mention this villian has done.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it wasn't that long ago I read you posting SSLH at limits like 2/4 so you must be doing pretty well. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was playing way under my roll at 2/4 LHE, but unfortunately pretty close to my skill level. A combination of 2.5 months' work full-time as well as low living expenses and a bit of luck will do that for you.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that this NL game requires a $15k roll, is that right? I'd hate to find out that I'm underfunded...

I'm confident that I can beat the game, but the swings are unusually high for me, and I don't have much experience doing anything other than knocking over the weak-tighties at the $25 party x-skins game, where they fold to me damn near always. I clearly have to adjust for this game.

I don't plan on jumping into the $200 game on party any time soon. I'm very confident that they would eat me alive over there, so it's weird: I'm trying to pick up enough NL skillz to beat this game, but I'm also not trying to be the next KKF or El D (though it'd be cool if I could somehow do that).

[ QUOTE ]
Is the river bet a blocking bet? I think a little more like 200 (1/3 PSB) is less likely to get raised big by a bluff as you mention this villian has done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not too sure what a blocking bet is... I haven't seen anything written about it other than on this board, and I haven't read enough on this board to properly execute a blocking bet. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Part of my question here is whether or not I should indeed be betting the river as a block or checking to induce a bluff or what...

I chose to value bet the river, because I figured he picked up a little piece of the flop and may have even improved on the turn or river to something that I still beat. People were showing down really weird hands.

I guess I intend to call a push for my remaining 150-250, but it would make me vomit just a little when I did.

You'd figure that he would try to protect/sell a flush on the turn, but I can't be sure about that.

--Dave.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:58 AM

a blocking bet is a bet that is small in relation to the pot size and is made to hopefully get to showdown cheaper than you think showdown would be if you were to check and villain were to bet. They are also typically a bet you make when you plan to fold to a raise.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a blocking bet is a bet that is small in relation to the pot size and is made to hopefully get to showdown cheaper than you think showdown would be if you were to check and villain were to bet. They are also typically a bet you make when you plan to fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does a blocking bet typically have the same size as a value bet with a monster hand?
Old 12-09-2005, 03:22 PM

Since you're trying to get to showdown cheap, the blocking bet will be smaller than a value bet. Need to be careful not to make it too obvious though or you'll get too much playback on your blocking bets.

One rule of thumb for value bets is PSB on flop, 2/3 PSB on turn, 1/2 PSB on river. If villian is willing to call more then you can bet more.

I don't like to block too small, like less than 1/4 on river, as the good LAG's will come back over the smallish bets.

And Dave, regarding bet size/pattern, when you've noticed a player consistently coming over turn/river blocking bets huge, you can sometimes induce action with a feigned blocking bet.