Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: A3s (Feat. Busted Flush Draw)

[ QUOTE ]
I think if you had a bigger kicker to your ace I'd feel better about calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. I had him on the 9, though. More variations of a random 9 that I beat than A9. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
IMO villian is a donkey and is trying to induce hero to bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty damn complicated move for a monster-having-minbetting-donkey, wouldn't you say? What monsters does this donkey have that he doesn't raise preflop? 88 and JT? Meh.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO villian is a donkey and is trying to induce hero to bluff. When someone min bets when they can just check and be guarenteed a freecard this is usually a donkeys monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't coincide with my experience of donkeys.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:31 PM

Also, sorry about the messed up stacks. I had $200, UTG had the small stack, I was SB. I had to recreate this manually using the outline of a different hand. I couldn't get the convertor to work properly.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the damn flop to $10 and take it down. If they call and check the turn, fire again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I rarely do this. I don't like playing draws for big pots right off the bat, OOP. As I said earlier, a check-raise in this spot is fine, given his crappy minbet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your thinking here but why play an approach that induces villans to bluff you. A more aggressive line will lead to villans checking down rivers to your A high versus having to make heroic 20 calls...
Old 12-07-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand your thinking here but why play an approach that induces villans to bluff you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't. I would've been happy if he checked behind and mucked. He bet big and I began thinking about his range and reasons for doing this. I had no prior thinking of, "I'm gonna let him bluff big so I can snap it off with my A3."

It's like you said, my hand looked weak, like a missed draw. I thought his bet screamed of desperation so I looked him up. I wasn't already thinking of how I'd be snapping off some PSB on the river when I checked the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
A more aggressive line will lead to villans checking down rivers to your A high versus having to make heroic 20 calls...

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't have to make the call. I didn't want to be in the position to where I had to make that call. Again, I would've been very content with him condeding the pot by checking behind. If he woulda bet like $8 I would've folded. The bet was fishy so I began thinking.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:14 PM

I do not make that call, but if you think you're good 1/3 of the time... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 06:54 PM

I think it's like 50/50 on fold/call but the fact that he could be "bluffing" a hand like 8-9 would make me lean towards folding just barely.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:16 PM

Leading flop rules all actions, or cr flop bet big on turn.

River looks like a boring easy fold. Dont go looking for battles in small pots with garbage. He isnt folding a J
Old 12-07-2005, 07:29 PM

Why call 1/5 of your stack with nothing? He could be bluffing you with a pair of 2s and beat you. A weak 8, 10 or J.

by the way- I tend to read his flop bet 1 of 3 ways-
"I have the draw and want to build the pot in case it hits"
"I have a small weak piece of it and want to let everyone know... but I don't feel that great about it so, if you reraise me, I'll probably fold."
or "I have a monster and hope I can induce a raise by betting weak."

If its 1 or 2, you're better off acting on the flop because you've shown weakness now and you've lost bluffing credibility.

If its 3... he's been trapping you and is looking to get paid off on the river.

Of all the options above... the weak "I'm on a draw bet" is the only one you're beating... though even then, someone drawing to a flush with K4... just hit big.

I fold.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a minbet is terribly weak, especially after limping preflop and being checked to by the blinds. It's usually a weak hand, IMO. Usually.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost always lead out on this flop, but if i don't, and villian bets $2, i checkraise 100% of the time (barring some VERY specific read)