Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 06:44 PM

Default For your vote- a \"Rules for Bad Beat Reporting\" post

Here's the post I made a few months ago in Home Games. I put it here for your consideration on official adoption in the BBV forum:

A "bad" beat has to involve several things:

1) The suckout has to be much greater than 5:1 or 7:1. Four-outers on the river and runner-runner are the best examples of results that meet this requirement. You were just beaten otherwise; it was not a "bad" beat, it was a "she/he was due" beat.

2) The victim of the beat cannot have caused the beat with his/her OWN poor play, poor starting cards, or other general stupidity that the "victim" doesn't acknowledge about their own play and lucky flop. This is more properly called a "you were LUCKY to suffer a bad beat" beat.. or "you unlucky MORON" beat might be more accurate [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

3) The suckout artist needed to have a reasonable chance to play his/her hand in a more intelligent and chip preserving way. Short-stacked in a tourney, or against an extremely aggressive loose player, means the beat can only be labeled a "tough beat" or "no choice beat," not a bad beat.

4) If it happened online, then NOTHING can be called a bad beat. If you had a 1/1 billion chance to get beaten, and the online rooms deal a billion hands a day... you have suffered a "It was MY turn" beat. Besides, you're in the wrong forum anyway.

5) The consequences of the bad beat have to be significant. You have to be largely crippled or worse in a tournament, or lose an upper-bracket pot as a result. Anything else is called a "poor-man's beat"

6) Any cash game where either party is all-in, for less than a large amount of money, is just a "That's Poker!" beat

Those posters that violate the bad beat rules of posting here will agree to be harassed for the following week

AND you accept that the poker gods will be sending 3 more beats your way in the near future, which you can't whine about

AND you must put this picture on your computer background during your "suspension" http://tinyurl.com/882fy

Agreed, everyone? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Thank you for abiding by these rules in the future! :P

(And before you think I'm going "holier than thou" on you, I just recently put a bad beat on someone. A tight player in a STT with rebuys pushed his last T750, with less than a couple of grand in the pot, on the turn of AKQx board- no flushes possible. I, pretty much KNOWING I was beaten with my AT, but holding a big stack, decide to call the AK. As he is saying "only if you have a ten" the river four-outer comes. I was definately a lucky moron, especially since that pot helped me survive later on to take 1st place)

If you want some supposed "bad beat" hand analysis, you'll have to see the post in HP from late August.

If these rules would violate the spirit of the BBV forum, mods can feel free to delete this post. :P
Old 11-28-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: For your vote- a \"Rules for Bad Beat Reporting\" post

I didn't read your post but I disagree completely.

Dude, this is BB&V.

This forum was created so people could post hands where their 53% favorite got rivered.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Dude, this is BB&V.

This forum was created so people could post hands where their 53% favorite got rivered.

[/ QUOTE ]

co-sizzle
Old 11-28-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Dude, this is BB&V.

[/ QUOTE ]

Underdogs getting rivered are also acceptable.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:12 PM

I had a feeling this wasn't the right place, especially after I responded to a few posts.

I agree, delete my post moderator.