Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Are the bears a bad 8-3 team?

Ok, I will precede this post with the full disclosure that I am a Minnesota Vikings fan, which isn't as bad as it was 5 weeks ago...

That said, I can't help but think of the 2001 Bears that went 13-3 by being overly opportunistic, then got hammered once they met a real quality team. Mind you, I do think that Carolina and TB are quality teams, but I think they were, again, more opportunisitc than anything else to win those games. Sure, you may think that the Bears D was SO dominating vs Carolina, but the Carolina D gave up the same amount of points off of actual drives. Same thing with TB. Here's something many of you may not know. How many points do the Bears have off of offensive drives in the last 3 weeks?

That's all

They have a total of ONE TD drive the last THREE weeks.

Now, if you want to compare that to the Ravens SB winners, know that at least the ravens could move the ball, and even over the 5 game no offensive TD streak, they were getting a good amount of field goals. The bears have the worst rated QB in the league,(Maas and Baldinger's opinion of him notwithstanding. "That was a big time pass by Orton"...as Muhammad has to jump 3 feet in the air with arms fully stretched upwards for a 15- yard out pattern....) and could, with a couple of things not going their way each game not,(Vasher Td's, Llloyd alligator arms, Simm's fumble and missed FG), they could pretty easily be 0-3 over the last 3. Now you may say that can always be said, and of course, it can be, but these were all game-changing plays in VERY tight games; they can't be counted on to happen all the time, and the fact that if they didn't have them, the Bears likely lose should be cause for some concern for them. Their offense is terrible, even with flashes from the RB's, and I think a QB who can handle a blitz(surprised that Delhomme blew it, really...) can do well against them.

I don't really care for my Vikes chance against them later this year in the dome tho...

Rant over.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Are the bears a bad 8-3 team?

defense gives up 11 points a game. give them a real offense and they are 11-0. would you rant then?
Old 11-28-2005, 12:42 AM

Why don't you talk about this in the other Chicago threads?

But to answer your question, no, they're not a bad 8-3 team. They're a top 10 team in the league, and the 2nd best team in the NFC.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
defense gives up 11 points a game. give them a real offense and they are 11-0. would you rant then?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how this is a response to his thread.

The OP is right. The Bears probably are not an average 8-3 team. On paper, their offense is horrendous. Somehow the move the ball and do just enough to win the game. However, I think when playoff time comes they won't make it very far. They say defense wins championships, but you need to score points to win.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:44 AM

The 2001 NFC was alot better than this years NFC. They could still go like 12-4 and lose in the divional round again but the chances are smaller since the NFC is so bad right now.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:46 AM

If you say the Jets are a good 2-9 team I'll agree that the Bears are a bad 8-3 team. Deal?
Old 11-28-2005, 12:48 AM

They were the worst 13-3 team in history a few years ago. This team might be better than that one, but not by a whole lot.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:51 AM

Are you saying they're not as good as Jacksonville or Cincinatti? Because the answer is clearly yes.

Have they played a soft schedule? Yes.

Is their offense atrocious? Yes.

Do they deserve to win a division? Yeah, they do.

While this team is not Super Bowl calibur (like those Ravens), or even AFC-playoff calibur (minus NE), they are above average because of their defense. They've beaten some good teams recently, they've played like themselves (horrible offense, great defense to make up for it).
Old 11-28-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you say the Jets are a good 2-9 team I'll agree that the Bears are a bad 8-3 team. Deal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Done.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying they're not as good as Jacksonville or Cincinatti? Because the answer is clearly yes.

Have they played a soft schedule? Yes.

Is their offense atrocious? Yes.

Do they deserve to win a division? Yeah, they do.

While this team is not Super Bowl calibur (like those Ravens), or even AFC-playoff calibur (minus NE), they are above average because of their defense. They've beaten some good teams recently, they've played like themselves (horrible offense, great defense to make up for it).

[/ QUOTE ]

Jax-yes, they are better.

Bengals-god no, not close. Check week 3.

I'm not saying they aren;t above average, just that that's all they are in my opinion. A 9-7 team that may go 12-4.