Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 12:42 AM

Default tOSU or Oregon?

Who's going to the Fiesta Bowl? Who deserves it more. I say tOSU by way of being co-Big Ten champions, but I am biased.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:15 AM

Default Re: tOSU or Oregon?

Ohio State deserves it more and it's not even close. To even beg the question is really insulting to the Buckeyes. They played a MUCH tougher schedule and looked a lot more impressive doing it.

According to the Sagarin Ratings (computer ratings are the only unbiased way to anaylze teams) Ohio State played the nations second toughest schedule whereas the Ducks played the 30th. The Buckeyes played 7 teams in the top 30 compared to 3 for Oregon. Ohio State's 2 losses were close games to 2 of the top 3 teams in the country. Oregon's was a blowout loss to USC, sure it was close for 3 quarters, but clearly Oregon cannot compete for 4 quarters against a top team like the Trojans. On the other hand, Ohio State has shown it is right up there with the best teams in the country. The Buckeyes are in the same league as Penn State and Texas. Maybe not quite as good, but they aren't off by much. After watching Oregon destruct in the fourth quarter and lose by 32 at home to USC, there's no way you could argue that they are in the same ballpark as Southern Cal.

Also, Oregon has been much less impressive, despite playing a softer schedule. The Ducks average margin of victory is 12.63 points. They beat 3-8 Arizona by 7 points and 4-7 Washington State by 3. In comparison Ohio State had an average margin of victory of 17.64 points even though they played the majority of their schedule against top 30 competition.

To recap. Ohio State played a tougher schedule by far. They beat their opponents more convincingly than did Oregon and their losses were more competitive. Jesus Christ I could write a [censored] essay on the topic.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
. Oregon's was a blowout loss to USC, sure it was close for 3 quarters, but clearly Oregon cannot compete for 4 quarters against a top team like the Trojans.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same could be said about Ohio State.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:41 AM

OSU is going to the Fiesta Bowl. The folks in Tempe have ND/OSU dollar signs in their eyes, and you're a fool if you think they won't do all they can to make sure that matchup happens.

As I've said before, "deserve" has nothing to do with it. But I think OSU deserves it anyway.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OSU is going to the Fiesta Bowl. The folks in Tempe have ND/OSU dollar signs in their eyes, and you're a fool if you think they won't do all they can to make sure that matchup happens.

As I've said before, "deserve" has nothing to do with it. But I think OSU deserves it anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I asked two different questions in my OP. Obviously ND/tOSU will bring in sooooo much money. Unfortunately, in the current system, it's really the only way to decide between two teams like Oregon and tOSU.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I asked two different questions in my OP. Obviously ND/tOSU will bring in sooooo much money. Unfortunately, in the current system, it's really the only way to decide between two teams like Oregon and tOSU.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I wasn't trying to imply you were dumb. Sorry if that's how it came across.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:21 AM

Oregon has been screwed by the bowl system year after year, I don't expect this year to be any different.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oregon has been screwed by the bowl system year after year, I don't expect this year to be any different.

[/ QUOTE ]

OSU - Oregon would be a lot more interesting than playing the Domers.

Sucks for the ducks! Maybe if they would have gotten close to beating USC, and lost to a terrible team, you could get a BCS game.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be OSU - Oregon. Have those schools ever played? I think that would be awesome.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:18 PM

Oregon deserves it. tOSU whiners will get it.