Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Final table with AK and short stack

A 22-player tourney, now down to the 6 cashing spots. The previous hand, I had AKo in UTG+1 and raised to T1700 to isolate a UTG all-in of T600 (blinds are T200/400), taking out his 97s (turn 9, river Ace) and putting us all in the money.

The next hand, I'm UTG holding AdKs with a stack of T5750. I'm the 2nd or 3rd shortest stack, with the three biggest stacks of 20K, 17K and 11K.

QUESTION 1: Does anyone raise anything but the standard 3BB here?

I raise to T1300, folded around to the BB chip leader. She calls, then bets 2K into me when the Jd4d4c flop comes.

QUESTION 2: Do I fold, call, or push here?

I didn't know a lot about her play. We had formed up the final table of 10 and lost 2 players in the first 2 hands. I was away from the table a few times, so we'd lost another player before I knocked out the bubble in 7th. I haven't seen her show too many hands down- she had been moved from another table.

She had some online experience in tourneys, so she seemed willing to push some chips around. If I was behind, I assumed I had 6 clean outs since she didn't reraise preflop. I didn't put her on a 4 since two were on board.

I agonized for a while, trying to decide if my T4450 was enough chips to wait for a better spot. I was 90% sure she'd call if I pusehd, so I decide to just call the 2K and see what the turn brought. I reasoned that my outs would probably be cut in half and I could more safely fold to what was most likely an all-in bet on the turn.

The turn is an offsuit Ten. She bet me all-in.

QUESTION 3- Call or fold?
Now I'm giving myself 10 outs (probably should have thought 8 outs, but I didn't think about the flush draw enough) and therefore my pots odds are good enough, and my prospects if I fold are weak enough, that calling seems best.

Thanks for the help,
LL

Oh, if it makes a difference:
6th place- buy-in
5th place- 1.5 buy-in
4th - 2.4 times the buy-in
Old 11-23-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Results

I was thrilled to see her turn over a dominated KQo, with only 7 outs available to her. Unfortunately for me, the river 9 knocked me out in 6th place.

My biggest question was about the flop call of 2K, rather than protecting my 12 BB stack by folding.

Thank you
LL
Old 11-23-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
My biggest question was about the flop call of 2K, rather than protecting my 12 BB stack by folding.

Thank you
LL

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather than protecting your hand by going all-in, she would have folded... You are short stack and need to make a move. I raise more pre-flop (5xBB) and would go all-in on a lot of flop. 3xBB makes a small enough pot to make you fold and you will play out-of-position so make it more pre-flop.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:15 PM

"Rather than protecting your hand by going all-in, she would have folded... "
She wouldn't have folded if I pushed all-in on the flop. I even asked her that after the hand was over.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Rather than protecting your hand by going all-in, she would have folded... "
She wouldn't have folded if I pushed all-in on the flop. I even asked her that after the hand was over.

[/ QUOTE ]

And? That's irrelevant.

You should have pushed on the flop.

She might would have felt forced to call based on the pot odds. However, calling an all-in on the flop would be the wrong play for her. And if she does call an all-in on the flop, you have to be ecstatic when she shows you her hand. You would be 85% to win or thereabouts.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Final table with AK and short stack

I don't mind the pre-flop action (assuming that was your standard raise), but when there are only 6 people left, I'm pushing this flop almost 100% of the time. Just calling the flop here is chip-spewing (IMO). And I also don't mind going all-in preflop. And just because she said she would've called doesn't mean crap.

-Gross
Old 11-23-2005, 06:33 PM

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

-Gross
Old 11-23-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Final table with AK and short stack

Push the flop, its too unlikely she's betting with air here to fold.