Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Is there a point where I stop raising here?

This is a hand from about 4 years ago, that I often think about, and have never posted before. Its not so much a strategy question, as a probability/strategy hybrid, so I figured I'd just post it here. Apologies if it really is an uninteresting hand.

The Setup: about 4 years ago, before the poker/ no limit boom really took hold. I'm playing 1-3 spread limit holdem at turningstone. This is an unstructured game where at any point you can be between $1 and $3 dollars. Small and Big Blind are both $1. Betting is capped at 4 bets unless it gets heads up, in which case you cna reraise an unlimited amount of times. Hero has about $400 in chips (I've been running really really hot, and I've been there for a long time.) Villain has around $350 in chips, he may also have been running really well. I should have reads on villain by this point, but 4 years ago I wasn't such a great poker player, and wasn't really paying enough attention to the game or the players. All I can tell you is that its an older man, and its a husband/wife combo, sitting next to each other (tourists). This is pre-poker boom, so people really have no idea how to play, not even from watching tv, in terms of whats a strong hand and what is not. On to the Hand:

Villain is MP, Hero is MP +2. Hero is dealt two black Kings. UTG Calls, folded to Villain who Raises to $4. Folded to Hero who raises to $7. folded back around to Villain who caps to $10. 2 Handed to the Flop. Flop is K/8/5 Rainbow. Villain Bets 3. Hero Raises to 6. Villain Raises to 9. Hero Raises to 12. Villain Raises to 15. Hero Raises to 18. Villain Raises to 21. Hero Raises to 24. Villain Calls. Turn is an offsuit 3 completing the Rainbow. Villain Donk-leads the turn for 3. Hero Raises to 6. Villain Raises to 9. Hero Raises to 12. Villain Raises to 15. Hero Raises to 18. Villain Raises to 21. Hero Raises to 24. Villain Raises to 27. Hero Raises to 30. Villain Raises to 33. Hero Raises to 36. Villain Calls. (At this point everyone at the table is oohing and aahing, but luckily no one is table-coaching or making comments about whoever doesn't have the nuts is an idiot).

River is a 3. Making the final board K8533. I no longer have the nuts and can lose to four 3's. Villain again opens the betting, and we get into another raise fest. At this point Villainn has around $200 left and I have him covered. Is there a point here where I should just call? Or do I cap him for all of his chips because the way the betting went, it just can't be possible that he has pocket 3's?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Is there a point where I stop raising here?

I don't see how the you could put him on 33 with that action on the flop.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:41 AM

i think i'd give up after like 30 bets or so... i don't think 33 is out of the question, considering villain is clearly not so bright, and slowed down a bit on the flop to go nuts again on the turn.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think i'd give up after like 30 bets or so... i don't think 33 is out of the question, considering villain is clearly not so bright, and slowed down a bit on the flop to go nuts again on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there wasn't much about this hand that made sense.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:46 AM

I dunno, I wouldn't stop raising.

However if this is the worlds worst bad beat I promise not to berate you and will feel your pain.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:50 AM

I can't believe I care but....did he have 33?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he did or the OP wouldn't be posting this four years after it happened [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] nevertheless, I would get in as many bets as possible.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:49 AM

I would lose my stack here if he never stopped raising.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think he did or the OP wouldn't be posting this four years after it happened nevertheless, I would get in as many bets as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno about that. i usually think more about hamds where i slowed down way too fast. if the other guy flipped over a worse hand after i stopped raising, i would feel sorta stupid too. honestly, i think that way overplayed aces or a flopped set are way more likely than 33. hell, the way opp. played this hand, he might just be a full-blown maniac with any 2.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:28 AM

If I played the hand now I would just put all the money out there.

If I was a begginer/on a limited bankroll I think I could see an argumant for puting in another $50-80 or so. If he doens't slow down again and keeps going beyond the point at which he slowed down on the flop/turn, it might be reasonable to think the river helped his hand.

I really expect to see overplayed aces though.