Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 04:23 AM

Default I don\'t check raise enough (PS5/10)

I just transitioned up to PS 5/10, still doing some 3/6 and one or two tables at time looking for good table selection.
I don't find this a problem at the beginning of sessions, TAG play works... but then it sort of stops working for me without being able to checkraise effectively. I can induce some bluffs on the river, but have a hard time raising.
I also might not be three betting enough, but I haven't looked yet.
Here is one hand I try to check raise.

Player to my left will not raise anyone or anything. but he will bet out.

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls.

Flop: (15 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP folds, CO folds, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks.

River: (9 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks. UTG... checks.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:30 AM

Default Re: I don\'t check raise enough (PS5/10)

Ok ok, let me get this straight. You paid a lot of bets to see a flop with a pocket pair. Fine, but you need implied odds. You get your set + an ace, so people will hopefulyl want to go to war.

So your tactic is to check? Check-raising sucks here, because betting gets more money in the pot, its that simple. Bet-get raised, and 3-bet, rather then check-raise, he calls, and you get 2 bets.

Be aggressive.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:37 AM

I paid 2 for a 15 bet pot. and 3 for 20 isn't terrible. I only need 2 more big bets for the implied odds.

I was looking to raise the turn because the read was that this player would never raise anyone. A TPP, and betting the flop would be the same as him betting it.. he might even fold if bet into. Raising the flop would do nothing to protect the hand.. So it is the turn that I don't like.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:57 AM

checkraising the flop is the play here. hopefully, utg 3bets so you can cr the turn.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:28 AM

3-bet flop..
Old 11-17-2005, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I paid 2 for a 15 bet pot. and 3 for 20 isn't terrible. I only need 2 more big bets for the implied odds.

I was looking to raise the turn because the read was that this player would never raise anyone. A TPP, and betting the flop would be the same as him betting it.. he might even fold if bet into. Raising the flop would do nothing to protect the hand.. So it is the turn that I don't like.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who cares?

YOU DIDN'T EVEN BET THE RIVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2005, 05:40 AM

how does your answer change if the player to my left doesn't raise?
He hasn't raised a flop or later street yet at this table. Except with kings, which he would have capped preflop. The player to my right checked the river on the button with A7 on an 4JA7A board.
Which is almost as bad as me checking this river. I still wanted the checkraise.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:05 AM

Bet the flop!!! Sets on Ace hi flop need to be played fast. Never ever miss an opportunity to bet/raise. Never....I repeat never hit the check or call button with a set on an Ace hi flop!
Old 11-17-2005, 07:48 AM

I think playing this hand back on the flop is best.

But if you do go for a turn cr and whiff.

Why, oh why don't you bet the river?

That was the easiest street this hand man [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Bet the flop!!! Sets on Ace hi flop need to be played fast. Never ever miss an opportunity to bet/raise. Never....I repeat never hit the check or call button with a set on an Ace hi flop!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't we pay attention to relative position any more? There's a very likely flop bet coming from the guy to our immediate left. I like a flop check-raise in those circumstances. Build the pot.

There's no need to worry about protection with a hand like a set: unless you're already losing, you've got waaaay the best of it and want the money going in.

Guy.