Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 12:10 AM

Default What is your play on the flop?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???</font>

Say your opponents are regular 1/2 fish, maybe aggression of 1-1.5. The pot is sort of small, but implied odds are high here. I'm at least calling, but should I 3-bet or not? How do you play the rest of the hand? Call down if no heart or straight card drops or throw in a raise? 3-bet on the flop?

I think I know the answer but I believe this is a good hand for some fundamentals.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:12 AM

Default Re: What is your play on the flop?

I think you should call and see what the turn card is and what the turn action is.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:14 AM

I think I'd just call. No way am I folding, but I don't really like 3 betting. You could be behind a str8 or a flush. SB liked his hand enough to bet into 4 others.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:17 AM

I guess it all depends on SB's aggression.

If he is likely to cap the flop with just the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], then it is certainly +EV to toss a 3rd bet in, as he will fire on the turn no matter what (because he is a silly, silly donk).

Or maybe I am just being hopeful that all Party players are this bad.

I bet you can guess what our passive player had. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 12:43 AM

Looks like a call to me. I don't 3-bet here because you have evidence that you may easily be behind, and a cap would certainly be on its way.

I would consider myself to either be behind already or very vulnerable even if I have the best hand at the moment. Therefore, no need to put 4 bets in with two more streets to go.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:46 AM

Great hand to wait for the turn to raise a brick. If a straight-card hits you can just call-down, and if the 4th heart comes you can safely pitch this.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:57 AM

*grunch*

I personally hate this situation and would give some serious thought to folding - while you may be ahead now, your hand is extremely vulnerable to redraws - any heart, a nine, king, or seven is trouble. That said, if you're going to play this one, I'd re-raise for information and see if it gets capped.

*/grunch*

After reading other responses, I can see how this is a good hand to wait till the turn action is. Calling is probably best... but hey, that's only the exact opposite of my original advice. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

...gotta start somewhere.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Great hand to wait for the turn to raise a brick. If a straight-card hits you can just call-down, and if the 4th heart comes you can safely pitch this.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a straight card hits I'm also pitching this, as I have 2 opponents that could both already have made hands.

Also, to the poster right above me, 3-betting this is kind of weak to me now because I'm not getting capped by a made hand. Chances are I'll just get check-raised on the turn if I bet after seeing a safe card come.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:52 AM

Call and reevaluate on the turn. This is very similar to the Two Overpair Hands setup except that you have two pair instead of an overpair and the board is monotone instead of two-tone. Same ideas apply though.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:07 AM

*grunch*

I think this is a tough fold. Board is too coordinated and you're possibly drawing dead to your 4 outer.