Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 12:49 AM

Default Help with notes

I've been playing for about 6 months now, Ive got all the Pokertracker nuts and bolts down, and I am in the 2+/100 BB range. I would like to step my game up a bit. The logical place is note taking, which I am admittedly deficient. What kind of notes do you make? There is the occasional "donkey" and "idiot" or whatever, but Im looking to emulate and eventually integrate the top players note taking style.

So basically, can you guys who take detailed notes describe your style or post hand examples, and then what notes you put on each player? I want to understand the thought process as well. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:16 AM

Default Re: Help with notes

I try to refrain from labeling people "idiot" and such, because even though I'm a somewhat solid player I go on tilt and call down with 7 high once in a blue moon. Generally I use the HUD stats to evaluate someones playing style. My notes are rare and would be for something like "tilts easily after big pair busted" or "called down my KK on AQKxx with 22 on 11/14/05"
Old 11-14-2005, 01:41 PM

Thats it, huh? Maybe this is in the wrong forum then.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:22 PM

I thought that you would have gotten more responses, but since you haven't I'll throw in my two cents.

1. Make up your own abbreviations that you (and hopefully only you) understand. Do this so that your not holding up the game and that yahoo to your left looking over your shoulder can't gain any information on you.

2. Don't feel the need to jot down info on each and every hand. I take notes only on a hand where I made a particularly good or bad play on, or if an opponent made a play that confused me so that I can reevaluate it at a later time.

3. I format my notes per hand in 5 parts (preflop, flop, turn, river) and jot down the play on each.

4. I label the other players by seat numbers. That way if someone happens to see, they won't see themselves labeled as a fish, idiot, etc. I wait until after the game and label the seat number by their playing style and skill level.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:57 PM

Thanks dachord, I like what you are doing. Im mostly interested in online note taking. Guess nobody does it.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks dachord, I like what you are doing. Im mostly interested in online note taking. Guess nobody does it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am looking to improve mine too, I hope someone can help the both of us.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 07:39 PM

I'll offer my two cents. You could start by giving the generic labels to everyone: loose/tight and passive/aggressive. The first thing I try to take notice of is if someone is generally tight or loose, first by their preflop play (% of pots).

I'll note any unusual plays that they make. You have to be careful with this one, cuz you don't want to make generalizations based on one specific play.

Another important thing I try to pick up on is their betting pattern. Do they sit back and call until they make their hand? Will they raise on the come? How do they play pocket pairs? Are they capable of bluffing? Can they be pushed off a draw? There are certain people who will never raise until they are positive they have the best on the river.

Eh, that's all I can think of for now. Hope I helped a little.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:49 PM

This thread has some good stuff in it- might be a good place to start.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:03 PM

I think simple labeling is good. Personally I use Hellmuth's animal classifications out of his book after observing a player for some time. I'll also make more detailed notes if I notice little things such as an opponent playing just about any suited connector, if they check raise or cold call a lot.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:54 AM

I found this thread helpful.