Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Turbos vs. regular SNGs (variance)

This is mainly a Pokerstars question.

Do the PS Turbos offer more or less variance compared to their normal SNGs?

In my experience (about 100 of each) I tend to find the turbos offer me less variance and more ROI (esp on the hourly rate multitabling)

What does everyone else have to say about this? I would love to know.

EDIT: this is mainly geared towards mid-lower stakes SNGs
Old 10-27-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Turbos vs. regular SNGs (variance)

Definitely more variance compared to their normal SNGs, and lower ROI, but higher $/hr. I guess you could play badly postflop and then get lower ROI and more variance in their normals though.

Compared to Party SNGs, however, I think they are fairly similar.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is mainly a Pokerstars question.

Do the PS Turbos offer more or less variance compared to their normal SNGs?

In my experience (about 100 of each) I tend to find the turbos offer me less variance and more ROI (esp on the hourly rate multitabling)

What does everyone else have to say about this? I would love to know.

EDIT: this is mainly geared towards mid-lower stakes SNGs

[/ QUOTE ]

Logically, the turbos should offer higher variance, higher hourly rate, and lower ROI.

I have played a lot of both, but at very different phases in my poker life so I cant really say for certain from experience.

I think the only one above up for debate is ROI...If youre better than the average player in the SNG pool, then standard SNGs should offer higher ROI (more play time is better for the "better" player). Of course this assumption could be offset by the fact that better players might gravitate towards the standard SNGs and lesser players to the turbos...But who knows?
Old 10-27-2005, 02:08 AM

I agree. More time between blinds will allow good players more time / hands to make moves. In a turbo it is still profitable but more variance because the blinds can rise quicker and turn things more into a crapshoot
Old 10-27-2005, 02:58 AM

In turbos I play VERY tight, and almost never end up in a place lower than 5th. I think that maybe my "overly tight" play rewards me in Turbos more than in their regular SNGs..
Old 10-27-2005, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In turbos I play VERY tight, and almost never end up in a place lower than 5th. I think that maybe my "overly tight" play rewards me in Turbos more than in their regular SNGs..

[/ QUOTE ]

and more 3rds to 1sts?
Old 10-27-2005, 10:49 AM

there is something that I've said on here many times. I even wrote a big thread that got much scrutiny. The more post flop play, where you have an edge, the less variance. The more post flop play, the more chances you have to win with the worst hand. This is only of course if you have the edge in post flop play. Because the same holds true the other way. The more post flop play, where you have less of an advantage, the more variance.
Variance is decided by the winning or losing with the worst hand, and winning or losing with the best hand. If you are running well, your good hands are holding up and your bad hands are sucking out. And the opposite, when you are running bad, your good hands can't win, and your bad hands can't suck out...but imagine you got the chance to play all those bad hands post flop with an edge. You now have that edge on every street. You now have more chances to avoid variance by outplaying your opponent. So in conclusion, if you have an edge post flop, then playing with more postflop play should reduce variance.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:03 AM

Turbos will have less variance only because there are 9 players instead of 10. In SNGs, your variance will always be near the same, regardless of your ROI because it depends on your place percentages and 13%/13%/13%/61% yeilds a variance similar to the one that 10%/10%/10%/70% gives.

Somebody around here learn some math for christsakes.

The square root of the sigma-squared is your standard deviation. That's why your standard deviation only increases as the square root of the number of games you play, while your profit increases linearly (ideally).
Old 10-27-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I often will play a 45 person turbo (i know this it STT forum) and almost always make the last 9 and almost always cash. Super tight is the way to go in these things.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Turbos will have less variance only because there are 9 players instead of 10. In SNGs, your variance will always be near the same, regardless of your ROI because it depends on your place percentages and 13%/13%/13%/61% yeilds a variance similar to the one that 10%/10%/10%/70% gives.

Somebody around here learn some math for christsakes.

The square root of the sigma-squared is your variance. That's why your variance only increases as the square root of the number of games you play, while your profit increases linearly (ideally).

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, what a pompous post!

Ok, if we "learn math" will you work on your reading comprehension? Just practice, its easy and fun!

OP was asking about turbos vs. standard SNGs on stars...both have 9 players.