Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Consulting Career Advice- Is My Company Shafting Me?

OOT IS NOT THE BRAGGING FORUM. DO YOUR JOB AND STFU.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OOT IS NOT THE BRAGGING FORUM. DO YOUR JOB AND STFU.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-24-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
having a job doesn't prevent you from playing poker. i don't know of anybody that plays "for a living" that puts in assloads of hours. i work full time and play around 50 hours per month.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-24-2005, 11:01 AM

A friend of mine interviewed with a consulting firm. They called her back, told her to come in again, told her that she was hired, let her bask for a few minutes, ... , and them mentioned that the opening is in New Jersey. (We live in the Bay Area.) She did not take the job. I would not have been as gracious as she was in turning it down.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They've changed the terms of your employment. But you don't have a contract so you're screwed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-24-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

By several I meant 250-500K and that's assuming I continue playing and doing well at present limits, 4 to 6-tabling 10/20 and 20/40 SH, and I would assume of course that playing full-time I would work my way up to higher limits too, so that final end-of-year figure is tough to predict and could definitely vary.

[/ QUOTE ]

You assume a helluva lot. No wonder people advised you to take the job.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, the VPs at my firm make over 7 figures, and the time from Analyst to VP (if one were to stay at the firm and move up the ladder at a typical pace) would probably be about 10-12 years. So by around age 34 you'd be a partner at the firm making over a million per year and have the skillset and resume to find other 7 figure jobs in other industries if you were so inclined; in fact, you'd probably never make less than a million per year for the rest of your employed life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow you really do assume a lot. You're a shoe in to become partner and a millionaire in no time. One question, how many analysts are there compared to vps?

[ QUOTE ]

And working 50-60 hours per week at an office job is much less stressful than 30-40 hours grinding on the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not always.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wow you really do assume a lot. You're a shoe in to become partner and a millionaire in no time. One question, how many analysts are there compared to vps?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I don't understand the snide nitpicking nature of your reply. I am openly discussing aspects of my life with neither arrogance nor pessimism. I gain nothing from either. I am trying to make the best rational choices I can with my life. If I aim big, is that okay with you?

Frankly, you are the one making assumptions about what I am saying in my post. However, I'll grant you that there's a lot more analysts than VPs. But I'm not too scared, most of the people at my firm who leave leave voluntarily and they go on to top 10 law schools, top 10 B-schools, other consulting gigs, private equity, or corporate management. These opportunities are not "assumptions", they are just a part of what it means to work in the managment consulting industry. It's why I chose to work here. Again, is it OK if I try to do my best in life, and ask others for opinions and guidance along the way?

BTW it's spelled "shoo in".
Old 10-24-2005, 07:01 PM

Hi Johnny,

I think you're making the right choice. Worked at PwC Consulting for the past 4 1/2 yrs upon graduating college. The travel was tough, but the experience was worth it. I left the Firm to be near my son this year and took a job as a Controller. I negotiated that my new company pay for MBA school next year...

I love p-k-r as well though and can understand the problem you're facing. I will say that paying dues working in a consulting firm is highly favorable for your resume and can get you cool management jobs upon leaving, mba school or both...even if you lack experience (as in my case).

Poker will always be around, though. Prestigious jobs at big consulting firms are harder to come by...

Ches