Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 10-11-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Play a Hand With the Masters #2 Pre-Flop

Welcome to our second "Hand With the Masters". This was originally submitted by none other than Gigabet. Much thanks to him for taking the time to not only submit the hand but provide a lot of his thought process, more of which will hopefully come at the end when we bring our Masters together.

Here's how this is going to work (same as last time):

1. I've sent the hand to our expert panel (which included MLG and Che) decision point by decision point. So they only had access to the information that they would have had if they were playing the hand themselves. Obviously, this was an actual hand and when a panelist's line deviated from how the hand was played they still played the hand out as it actually went down. So if they said they would fold and in the actual hand it was raised, they played the next decision point as if they had raised.

2. I'm going to post the hand in multiple threads step by step over the next couple of days. This will make it as real as possible. I plan on adding a decision point approximately every 24 hours. Please be patient and understand that we're trying to 1) allow everyone a chance to view the decision point post prior to being influenced by a subsquent post; and 2) allow enough time for lots of discussion.

3. Once everyone has had a chance to comment on all aspects of the hand, I'll post how our experts played it out along with the thought process they have presented. We'll then give them an opportunity to post and discuss why they liked one approach versus another.

4. We'll bring the forum back to continue the discussion. Essentially, this will be the hand we'll talk about over the next week.

So without further adieu:

Setup
$100+9 Party Poker MTT
Blinds 50/100
Hero is Gigabet
No strong reads on other players

Stacks
UTG: t5380
Hero: t2670
MP: t1270
MP+1: t1333
MP+2: 2395
CO: t1394
Button: t2917
SB: 2270
BB: 2915

Pre-Flop
Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG folds. Action is on the hero.

Do you call or raise? If you raise, to what? Since most players usually raise with AK in this spot, under what scenarios would you just limp and why? If you raise and get re-raised, what's your plan (which obviously could depend on which player re-raises you)?
Old 10-11-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #2 Pre-Flop

Standard raise to 300 here works for me. Only time I might limp here is if there is a maniac or two to my left that I can depend on to bump it up PF. If this happens, I happily re-raise him a sizeable amount and all-in if necessary.

Without any reads, I might have to fold if a comparable stack pushes all-in. Being that I am Gigabet, I am sure I can find a much better spot than this to accumulate chips.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Standard raise to 300 here works for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
And let me take this opportunity to remind everyone that there is more to playing a hand then just deciding what to do when it's your turn to act. I've included other questions that should be considered and discussed in this post (and will do so in subsequent posts as well). And certainly feel free to address other questions or issues that you might have.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:04 PM

I would raise to 400 myself, but the main thing is to do whatever hero's standard raise is. If I'm re-raised all in by one of the 3 short stacks I call. If I'm me and I'm re-raised all in by any of the others I would call, but if I'm Gigabet and can assume I'm a better player than almost everyone else, I probably fold. I call any smaller re-raises.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Standard raise to 300 here works for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
And let me take this opportunity to remind everyone that there is more to playing a hand then just deciding what to do when it's your turn to act. I've included other questions that should be considered and discussed in this post (and will do so in subsequent posts as well). And certainly feel free to address other questions or issues that you might have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you perhaps delve further into the implications of Hero being Gigabet for the noobs?
Old 10-11-2005, 04:05 PM

Yeah - it would be helpful to hear what Gigabet thinks his opponents know/think of his playing style.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you call or raise? If you raise, to what? Since most players usually raise with AK in this spot, under what scenarios would you just limp and why? If you raise and get re-raised, what's your plan (which obviously could depend on which player re-raises you)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am always raising this to 275 or 300, barring something weird like a maniac behind me that's gonna raise it himself so I can push.

If I get reraised, it depends on the stack size and read I have on the player.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:07 PM

I like limping here. You have three stacks behind you that should jam with a pretty large array of hands even after a limper or two. If raised I obviously re-raise all-in.

As silly as it sounds, if the pot remains limped and you flop top pair, you risk going broke against a wide array of hands but you also have an opportunity to double up against a weaker ace that no one would put you on. At this stage of the tournament with our stack I'm willing to take that risk.

Certainly a standard raise is ok too but we have an awkward stack size with which to play AK with after the flop.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am always raising this to 275 or 300

[/ QUOTE ]

andathar,

I've noticed from reading your bodog 100K thread (which was awesome by the way... hope you post more of these) that you like to raise slightly below 3xBB in these spots. Any reasoning behind this or just a habit? Is it perhaps part of your intention to keep the pots small?
Old 10-11-2005, 04:09 PM

Raise to 300 and I'm calling all-in/pushing versus a raise.