Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-01-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Why did I donk bet this?

loose passive preflop, bit more action postflop live 8/16 game.
I limp in early position with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], six or seven to the flop.
Flop 6SB: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, I check, bet to my immediate left, everyone calls except the blinds.
Turn, four players 5BB: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero checks, flop better checks, loose aggresive player bets, button folds, Hero goes for the overcall, flop better calls.
River 8BB: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for my gin card.
I donk bet.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Why did I donk bet this?

why did you not bet this flop?
Old 10-01-2005, 11:12 PM

I had been playing very aggresive, leading most flops.
I thought I would try to trap, and I thought raising the turn would be the best chance after the flop was lead by my immediate right who was pretty solid. When she checked the turn and the other woman bet, that hurt that plan.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:58 PM

this is horribly played on every street. you need to be betting out and hoping people raise the pot for you. getting this checked around would be AWFUL. Plus you are letting one card flush people getting to the river mad cheap.

Fast play is the new slowplay - well fastplay is pretty standard now, but you get the point.

Bet your damn hand!
Old 10-01-2005, 11:59 PM

With 7 players ahead of you this should be an easy lead. I wouldn't even lead the river I'd plan for the C/R.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:18 AM

Lead the river because

1) Lower spades will not bet, but pretty much any spade will call
2) A or K of spades will raise
3) 1+2=Mucho dinero
Old 10-02-2005, 12:37 AM

I would never dream of raising a donk bet with the K of trump on a 4-flush board.

The board paired too, someone with a house will think you're donking the ace and raise you. You have a lot of chances to 3-bet if you lead the river.

Usually it's easier to play a multiway monster by just leading out every street, because when you don't, people get extremely suspicious of you when you do wake up. By leading every street, they have no reason to put you on any more than top pair hoping to take it down.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:45 AM

I think if I had lead every street, this hand would have been much easier to play. Given that I checked/called up to the river.. should I have continued the slowplay?

Old 10-02-2005, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think if I had lead every street, this hand would have been much easier to play. Given that I checked/called up to the river.. should I have continued the slowplay?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone will be expecting a runner runner one-card flush by you, so go ahead and bet. I think your opponents will see it as a bluff.

Edit: I'd really like to know how the action went behind you. By the nature of your original post I'm assumed you maybe only had a single caller?
Old 10-02-2005, 12:59 AM

oh my god...you caught the gift of a lifetime when the person on the immediate left bet the flop; check-raise with every donkey having money in the pot.

the better will likely call, bringing a circle jerk of calls. Even if the better raises (Yippee), you'll get some callers who cannot wait to catch a card with their Q,J, or T in their hand. Might even get to cap the flop with 3 plus players. It's like Natalie Portman said, "I want to sleep with you," and you replied, "I have a headache."