Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: That seems like a bad river card, live 20/40

[ QUOTE ]
You guys realize I'm against the tilting, seems tightish BB, not the button, right?

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I got it wrong... need to rethink my comment... I guess a tiltling tight player might call down with a hand you beat...
Old 09-22-2005, 02:54 PM

If the guy is not tilting I would just check and fold since he probably isn't going to call again on 4th street with just a nine. A tilting player will probably make this call, but that still doesn't mean that you should bet the river. If he will have a flush 50% of the time and a worse hand that pays off 50% of the time, it makes no difference what you do (assuming that he never bets a worse hand).

It seems to me that you are going to be 2nd best here more then you will be winning. If the guy will not bet 9x when you check to him, I would check and fold here even if I knew he was on tilt. If he would bet the nine some of the time I would go ahead and bet-fold. Overall I feel like you will be a big underdog when he bets, so I would still check and fold on the end.

Brad
Old 09-22-2005, 03:28 PM

I would guess he's thinking the likely-hood you have an ace just went down, bet the river and fold to raise.

- Jim
Old 09-22-2005, 04:22 PM

Good analysis. But why isn't that river card a perfect one to induce a bluff? I disagree that I will be a big dog if he bets.

-DeathDonkey
Old 09-22-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good analysis. But why isn't that river card a perfect one to induce a bluff? I disagree that I will be a big dog if he bets.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Would this villain bet a 9 here for value or with the specific purpose of folding a pocket pair like TT? Seems unlikely. I don't think there are many hands he gets to with the river that would be "bluffing" hands.

Basically, the hand range you can expect villain to put you on is too narrow to think he'll bluff often. So I think betting is better.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:38 PM

But why isn't that river card a perfect one to induce a bluff?

I don't quite follow here. Do you mean induce a bluff with something like Q9 or a true stone bluff?

It seems to me that he isn't going to have a hand worth "bluffing" very often. If he was drawing to a flush...it came in. There wasn't a straight draw on the flop so that is out of the question. So if he is bluffing here, it would seem that he would have to have at least aces up. If he has aces & nines I feel like he will just check behind since you will throw KQ away and call with QQ or KJ or Ax or whatever. If he bets I have a feeling that you are going to look at either trips or a flush the vast majority of the time. Now I could be wrong and misinterpreting the read but it seems like there is little that he would payoff here that you beat. You would certainly win << 50% if you are called (or raised).

Brad
Old 09-22-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Results

Ok, well I guess I got lucky then. I thought at the time that would be a great card to let him bluff at, so I check/called and he bluff bet his pair of 5s.

-DeathDonkey