Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 05:48 AM

Default That seems like a bad river card, live 20/40

Ocean's Eleven 20/40, game is pretty tight with a couple soft spots and alot of weak tight guys.

Awful player limps on the button, I raise T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the SB, BB calls, button calls. Button is straightforward and very loose. BB seems tight but is stuck and probably tilting. Sorry I didn't have much more than that.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I bet they both call. Turn is A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I bet, BB pauses and calls, button folds.
River is J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] what is the play please?

-DeathDonkey
Old 09-22-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Re: That seems like a bad river card, live 20/40

unless hes the type to pause and think about folding his flush draw cuz the board paired, i think his pause rules out the flush and i dont think he has an ace, but thats not all that reliable, either way i think you can bet/fold against this guy, i think hes got a pair
Old 09-22-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Button is straightforward and very loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd bet-fold it.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:53 AM

He either decided his T9s might be good on the turn, or he was going for overcalls with an Ace. I think it's a bet-fold given that you really don't know if he's tilting or not.

Rob
Old 09-22-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Button is straightforward and very loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd bet-fold it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Based on the description of the player and the action, do you think you ever make a better hand fold here? The only worse hand that might check behind is a 9. What do you put button on?

I lean towards a check/fold here but I might check/call if the button is (1) very, very bad and (2) likely to bet any river checked to him. Right now, I put him on a small Ace or two small spades (but a 9 is also possible).
Old 09-22-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why? Based on the description of the player and the action, do you think you ever make a better hand fold here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I might have got the wrong end of the stick, so if I have I apologize, but I don't think the reason that they're advocating bet-fold is to try and make worse hands fold. Instead you extract the maximum when you're ahead, because there are a lot of hands that you beat that will be tempted to call, but lose the same as a check-call when you're behind to the flush. If you check-fold you might very well fold to an induiced bluff. Again, I might have misunderstood, but that's how I interpreted it.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:54 PM

You guys realize I'm against the tilting, seems tightish BB, not the button, right?

-DeathDonkey
Old 09-22-2005, 01:55 PM

Check and Don't overcall.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check and Don't overcall.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's HU.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:20 PM

I think a tilting tightish player is probably convincing himself to call down with a pair here on the turn most of the time. The only other thing he could be thinking about would be waiting till the river to raise an A, I guess. I don't think he has a flush draw given the delay.

Are you totally confident your opponent would not bet a 9 or other pair if checked to? Probably not. Seeing he called with those hands on the turn, he seems committed to calling on the river. The chance your opponent has a J with his pair or whatever is one I'm willing to take.

Bet-fold.