Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 08-25-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Review of a new Dal Negro card deck, by a friend

(These are another plastic playing cards, similar to Kems, Copags, etc)

" They were $18+ shipping for the setup. The boxes are cardboard and the retailer threw in a plastic box (like a Kem box, only cheesier, and poker size).

The cards themselves are nice. The finish is matte, but fine-grained, not as much friction as the Kems. I'm not sure I'd compare it to paper; maybe thin cardboard, like the inside of an old box? There's none of that slick, greasy, plasticky feel that you get with Copag, Kem, Gemaco, Royal, Hoyle, etc.
They do slide around a little. I think that's just the nature of light plastic cards.

The review on homepokertourney.com isn't quite right, IMHO. They don't feel particularly thick or chiseled to me (whoever does the cards for the Borgata, *those* feel thick and chiseled).

The indices are nice, the font is a little exotic. Face cards are pretty homely, but I haven't seen anything that comes anywhere near Kem in that department. Back design is nice, just a little bland, and you can have any color you like, as long as it's brown and green.

The corners have a much larger radius, which doesn't bother me but might freak some people out.

The other weird thing is the proof marks. The ace of spades is fancy, but there's no lot number. There's a smaller logo with the lot number on the bottom of the ace of hearts. Then, for no explicable reason, they put another logo on the four of hearts (sans lot number).

Personally, I'd use these in preference to Copags, but I'll probably stick with Kems if the new Arrows are decent."