Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Organ donating? What are the cons?

[ QUOTE ]
There is no way I will be donating my organs.

I am very sexy and as a result, I would imagine the gay necropheliacs (sp?) will be lining up outside my door to SIIMP once I die...

Since I'll be dead, I just can't see the need to give them a crappy piece of ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, David Cross.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i believe it's a popular theory/urban legend that certain doctors will "play god" with you if it's known that you're an organ donor. meaning true measures to save your life in an emergency won't be taken because you are 1 life, and your fresh organs are worth more than 1 life.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are at the point where harvesting organs even comes up in the treatment plan nothing any doctor would do going is going to make a difference anyways.... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

In 99% of the cases the donation issue comes up after clincal death. The only time this may be an issue is from an EEG flat patient with zero percent viability due to brain trauma.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A) There are people that you wish death upon?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't normally waste my time walking around wishing death upon others, but there are definitely people whose lives I would reject saving if given the opportunity.

[ QUOTE ]
B) There are *enough* people out there that you wish death upon, that you think there's a chance that one of them will get your organs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say that and I will proabably go with jakethebake's line and donate my body to medical science.
I meant that it's a potential reason why someone might consider rejecting to become an organ donor.

[ QUOTE ]
C) And you think that who gets your organs will make a lick of difference to you after you're dead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once I'm dead it won't make any difference to me who gets my money either, but I'd still rather see it benefit someone I care about than someone I hate. In fact, I would rather have my money cremated than solely benefitting someone I hate - the same goes for my kidneys.

[ QUOTE ]
D) How would you feel one day when you need a transplant and you discover that nobody is donating organs anymore because everyone is as selfish as you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, I would think it sucked. But that doesn't automatically give other people any moral obligation to let me inherit their organs. But again, I'm only arguing that I have the right to reject donating organs - not that it's the right thing to do.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:02 PM

Perhaps i could put it in my will that [censored] could do a "does this person suck?" thread on them before they get my kidneys?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

A) There are people that you wish death upon?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't normally waste my time walking around wishing death upon others, but there are definitely people whose lives I would reject saving if given the opportunity.

[ QUOTE ]
B) There are *enough* people out there that you wish death upon, that you think there's a chance that one of them will get your organs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say that and I will proabably go with jakethebake's line and donate my body to medical science.
I meant that it's a potential reason why someone might consider rejecting to become an organ donor.

[ QUOTE ]
C) And you think that who gets your organs will make a lick of difference to you after you're dead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once I'm dead it won't make any difference to me who gets my money either, but I'd still rather see it benefit someone I care about than someone I hate. In fact, I would rather have my money cremated than solely benefitting someone I hate - the same goes for my kidneys.

[ QUOTE ]
D) How would you feel one day when you need a transplant and you discover that nobody is donating organs anymore because everyone is as selfish as you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, I would think it sucked. But that doesn't automatically give other people any moral obligation to let me inherit their organs. But again, I'm only arguing that I have the right to reject donating organs - not that it's the right thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-12-2005, 03:28 PM

My only real concern is that of my loved ones after my death. I don't really care what happens to my body. I think it would be much better if my organs could be put to good use in someone else, rather than just rot away in a coffin. I just want to make sure that my friends and family get the closure they desire. I don't want my body to be so mangled up after my organs and tissue are removed that they won't have the option of having an open casket funeral. If they can cover up all the surgeries with make-up and clothing for when they bury me, that would be great.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:32 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

it's not a reference to the treatment plan, it's something that's seen on your driver's license when you id yourself or they pull it out of your wallet
Old 08-12-2005, 03:33 PM

I agree that you have the right *not* to donate your organs, and I hope this never changes.

However, not donating your organs solely because you're worried that someone you don't like might get them is a little shortsighted. I was reading today that up to 250 people can be helped with the organs harvested from 1 person. Surely the fact that most of the people that are being helped by your donation are *not* people who you'd want to see dead is a good enough reason to donate? Keeping in ming the fact that you'll be dead and will no longer have any use for the organs yourself.

I agree that you should be able to donate organs to specific people if you so desire -- but *only* if the people you specify are family members. I wouldn't want to see a system where rich people can pay for organs and poor people are totally out of luck. I know a lot of posters on here will disagree with me on this point.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:15 PM

They actually replace the bones and everything else taken with prosthetics and sew the body back up so no one viewing in a funeral-type setting can tell anything was done. Also if, when you die, you get an autopsy, the ME is going to do a lot of cutting, removing and replacing of various parts anyways.

I'm kind of giving you the unfiltered version of what happens but personally I would rather know exactly what is going to happen instead of some white-washed story on behalf the organ donation network

It's definitely something everyone should discuss with family so that your personal wishes are known ahead of time. My parents actually put their wishes it into our family trust/will. It solves a lot of problems later on and family members are less likely to squabble over the ethics of it if they know the person's views prior to their death.