Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Organ donating? What are the cons?

cons: don't want someone else running around with your weiner
Old 08-12-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Since you won't have any control over who will get your organs when you die (that's how it works in Sweden anyway), you might end up saving the life of someone you would rather see dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like a minority??

[/ QUOTE ]

ah crap, the only reason I clicked on this thread was to make this joke [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

*apologies to any minorities
Old 08-12-2005, 01:56 AM

Just the other day I donated an organ to my church--

The Church of Splatter Day Taints
Old 08-12-2005, 02:02 AM

As a recipient of a kidney transplant, I'm not entirely objective. But there are no negatives to being an cadaveric organ donor for the person doing the donating, since they will be dead. The only possible negative is if you have a close relative who strongly objects for religious reasons. I would hope that would not be enough of an objection to stop someone for being a donor.

Many states have registries for people who ant to be organ donors. Be sure to register AND tell your family.

If you do discuss this with your family, it might be a good time to discuss funeral arrangements of everybody. Cremation or embalming, where to be buried or have the service, how much to spend. Flowers or donations to charities, etc, etc.

These topics don't come up very often, but can be very useful to know when a family member dies, hopefully many years after the discusion.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I am going to tell my family that I want to be an organ donor. Is there anything I should know before I do this? Is there any reason why I would not want to do this? Basically, if I'm dead, I don't see why I should mind them taking a few of my organs if it will help someone else who still has a shot at living. Maybe I'm missing an important detail though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... here's something interesting.

My mother works at a hospital, and she told me that they formerly just tied down bodies of braindead individuals and cut into them, removing whatever organs they're looking for.

However, recently they've started to anethetize the bodies before operating, because they would struggle, and it really freaked out the staff.

No, I'm not joking.

The scary thing is that these were/are brain-dead bodies.

Anyone who can disprove me would be appreciated, because this kinda freaks me out.

FWIW, I'm still an organ donor (potentially, anyways).

Edit: Also, for you canadians out there, realize that your organ donor card isn't legally binding, as your body immediately goes into your family's custody when you die... ie. your parents / next of kin can choose not to donate.

So talk to your family if you decide to do this.

--Dave.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard people say stupid things such as, "If they see you are an organ donor then the doctors will do less to save you." Sounds like a load of [censored] to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coma
Old 08-12-2005, 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have said no such thing and I wouldn't personally take ethniticity into consideration. I was arguing for the principle of property rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Christ, it's a Randroid. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Uh... the guy who brought up the minority thing is kinda a moran (sorry mason, but how the hell did you extrapolate minority from what he was saying?).

Olaf, if you choose to be an organ donor, that's a good way to exercise your property rights.

(Although I'm not sure if it can be argued that your body is your property after your death. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 08-12-2005, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Since you won't have any control over who will get your organs when you die (that's how it works in Sweden anyway), you might end up saving the life of someone you would rather see dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like a minority??

[/ QUOTE ]

ah crap, the only reason I clicked on this thread was to make this joke [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

*apologies to any minorities

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh sweet, I've been a jackass in my reply to mason, then...

maybe...

Where's this from?
Old 08-12-2005, 05:58 AM

You can't get buried in an orthodox jew cemetary.

(Maybe...consult your rabbi)
Old 08-12-2005, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh... the guy who brought up the minority thing is kinda a moran (sorry mason, but how the hell did you extrapolate minority from what he was saying?).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I did fail statistics so I could have been way off base in my extrapolation....