Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Mini Steps

Are these worth my time? Steps aren't mentioned much on this forum in general, except for the really seasoned pros playing the upper levels.

I've sort of assumed there was some "God these things suck" thread that I missed. But I'll still ask. As a n00b, is it really practical to try the mini-steps, or should I stick to the $11s. Can I work my way up to lvl 5 from lvl 1 with just solid SNG poker, or does it take a combination of genius poker and an amazing luckbox?
Old 08-06-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Mini Steps

[ QUOTE ]
Are these worth my time? Steps aren't mentioned much on this forum in general, except for the really seasoned pros playing the upper levels.

I've sort of assumed there was some "God these things suck" thread that I missed. But I'll still ask. As a n00b, is it really practical to try the mini-steps, or should I stick to the $11s. Can I work my way up to lvl 5 from lvl 1 with just solid SNG poker, or does it take a combination of genius poker and an amazing luckbox?

[/ QUOTE ]
You are paying absolutely huge amounts of rake in the Steps. I doubt anyone, and I mean anyone can move from l1 to l5 profitably.

Ministeps are useful once you've beaten the $215s, so you can play $430's. Otherwise, stick to regular SNG's.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are paying absolutely huge amounts of rake in the Steps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this. In the mini-steps, steps and step-higher, the rakes appear to be the same as normal SnGs. 20+2, 50+5, 150+15(a little out). The rest seem pretty good.

Am I missing something?
Old 08-31-2005, 04:15 PM

Yea, bouncing around. You get to step 3...bounce back to step 1....etc. etc. etc. They take rake off of each and every one of those games. Anyway, i came in 1st in the very first steps they had. They're just not as popular anymore. You'll spend more time waiting for the game then actually playing the game. Could play 3 or 4 sng's by the time one step gets started. Reward is great, but they take forever. Seems easy, but that's the hook. American dream of get rich quick. Tougher work than they seem
Old 08-31-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are paying absolutely huge amounts of rake in the Steps. I doubt anyone, and I mean anyone can move from l1 to l5 profitably.

[/ QUOTE ]

blech. this is just outright wrong and stupid. you might mean to say "i doubt anyone can move from step 1 to step 5 and have it be their most profitable choice to have done, EV wise, with the time," but you didn't say that.

Anyone who is a winner at each of the levels (ROI>0) is automatically a winner overall. And to top that off, there's a variety of ways that you can be a loser at at least one step and still be profitable for the whole journey.

Get a grip.

citanul
Old 08-31-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, bouncing around. You get to step 3...bounce back to step 1....etc. etc. etc. They take rake off of each and every one of those games.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm freerolling between steps am I going to get dinged for rake for each one? I just tried my first mini-step last night, so I'm on new ground here.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:34 PM

you don't get "dinged" for rake. the point is that someone who buys in at the bottom is basically paying compounded rake for when they work their way up. it's really a pretty zany argument if you ask me. as long as you are +EV, you're +EV.

citanul
Old 08-31-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Free way to check out the higher level SnGs?

I normally play at the 11s. Now I'm into mini-step #2 (which would be a $22 direct buy-in).

As I progress through the steps (lord willing), will this be, essentially, a free look at what the higher buy-in SnGs are like?

P.S. I'm kind of crapping myself about playing at a $430 if I go all the way. Hell, I'm kind of crapping about playing a 55 at mini-step 3.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Free way to check out the higher level SnGs?

no. i don't think so.

the 400s are an interesting game, but the lower steps dont' correlate well to other similar staked games, as very few people are buying in direct to the mini-steps at mid levels. also, there is a different sort of strategy involved with playing satellite payout tournaments that is not the same as the way normal sngs play.

i wish you good luck making mad piles o loot, and don't be intimidated. that's the #1 way of stinking at the steps.

citanul
Old 08-31-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Free way to check out the higher level SnGs?

I haven't played them since I found this forum but found them pretty fun before. You have to thoroughly know the "payout" structure of each step and play accordingly. I made it to step 4 a couple times but could never get over the hump and into step 5. Think of the whole thing as a $6 tourney. Don't think of the different level buyins.

It's kind of like a MTT in that you can put in a lot of work only to usually bust out. It really sucks to work your way up to level 4 only to bust all the way back down when AA gets cracked in Level 1 or something.