Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 08-05-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Luv2DriveTT is right [AC trip non-report / Showboat review]

I'm sure he doesn't remember this, but a couple of months ago someone asked about playing B&M for the first time at a $3/6 somewhere in AC, and I suggested they buy in for a rack-and-stack (of $1 and $5 respectively). He "corrected" me to say that there're way too many red chips in the game anyway, so just buy in for 2 racks of white.

Well, I just went to AC for the third time, and he's absolutely right. It's just insane how much it slows down the $3/6 when everyone brings stacks of red to the game. It's sort of an exponential problem -- the first person putting in a red for $3 isn't a problem because there are $1 chips in the pot to give change, but when five are in for $6 and four of them put in two reds, even the excellent AC dealers are gonna have to take some time to make change. (I can't imagine how slow Foxwoods would be if their dealers had to worry about this.)

Anyway I had a generally nice three day visit. Borg on Monday, up about $25 or so at $2/4 and 3/6 HE. Showboat and Taj on Tuesday, not so good - down $160 or at $2/4 and $3/6 HE at the Showboat (the $2/4 is suckout heaven!), and $2/4 Omaha and $3/6 HE at the Taj. Wednesday dumb luck returned as all the $2/4 types paid me off at the Borg -- then also some $3/6 and $1-2 NLHE. Overall I was up about $100, not quite enough to pay for gas down there and two nights at a lovely Absecon motel.

Anyway, I've posted a wiki review of the Showboat, which I'd love for others to edit: http://poker.wikicities.com/wiki/Showboat
Old 08-05-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Luv2DriveTT is right [AC trip non-report / Showboat review]

I bought in for a rack of whites the only time I played 3-6 at the taj in AC and people thought it was weird that I didn't have reds.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bought in for a rack of whites the only time I played 3-6 at the taj in AC and people thought it was weird that I didn't have reds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make big pots. Big pots make more callers. White is right is low limit games. I like to buy obscene amounts of white chips when I play 4/8... they always look at me like I'm a kook but its more fun and faster.

Glad you had fun...

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Make big pots. Big pots make more callers. White is right is low limit games. I like to buy obscene amounts of white chips when I play 4/8... they always look at me like I'm a kook but its more fun and faster.

Glad you had fun...

[/ QUOTE ]

TT--

What's the largest number of racks of white chips you've ever brought to a table?

I put the over/under at 4.5.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:38 PM

Nice report.

I played Monday at the Showboat for the first time.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:42 PM

Even though you addressed TT I felt compelled to respond.

Sthief9 and I played in a drunken $2-$4 game at the Trop in AC once and I bought in for 5 racks of white.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:50 PM

At the last Commerce mini-fest I was at back in March, I think I remember both rmarotti and bakku showing up with 5 racks each for a 2/4 game. One for playing the game, the other four for tipping the dealer, if I remember rightly.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:53 PM

Not much to add content-wise here, but I checked out the Showboat Wiki entry you created. Very nice work, clearly you put some time into this. Thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 07:17 PM

Since this is a dick waving contest, I bought in for 15 racks at the MGM donkfest.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At the last Commerce mini-fest I was at back in March, I think I remember both rmarotti and bakku showing up with 5 racks each for a 2/4 game. One for playing the game, the other four for tipping the dealer, if I remember rightly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bakku better show up when Mopratti and I arrive in LA next week!

I have no idea what the most number of racks I ever bought in for, I can't recall. But I do remember buying in for 6 racks of pink chips once. That was pure silliness.