Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 07-29-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Was This Draw Played Well?

Trying to be more aggressive with draws, but I don't succeed here. Is this a good level of fighting back, or between being afraid of betting without a hand and knowing I'm supposed to be a little aggressive with draws like this one did I just strike at a new level of "whaaa???"

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (6 handed) converter

CO (t770)
Button (t520)
SB (t790)
Hero (t745)
UTG (t665)
MP (t4510)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t60) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t70</font>, SB calls t40.

Turn: (t200) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t200) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t250</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: t550
Old 07-29-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Was This Draw Played Well?

Personally, I don't like the raise on the flop, here's why.

The bettor is either on a draw or going to see the next card regardless. You need to hit before you become satisfied and you've got position on him. Here, I'll just use my position. Also, if the [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hits are you sure he's going to pay you off?
Old 07-29-2005, 02:32 PM

I agree. The flop raise is only sweetening a pot that you're not sure you're going to win. Unless you're planning on bluffing later in the hand (which I wouldn't recommend) I would stay away from miniraising. The rest looks okay.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:39 PM

I like the raise on the flop. With this raise you:

1) Sometimes win the pot uncontested
2) Almost always have the turn checked to you, so you can check.

What I don't like is the size of the raise. He has to call t40 to win t160, so he's pretty much never folding. I would make it more like t110.

Then again, I play Stars so the stacks are deeper. Calling is not wrong here as you have odds to draw. But I prefer raising because I'm LAG a lot of the time.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the raise on the flop. With this raise you:

1) Sometimes win the pot uncontested
2) Almost always have the turn checked to you, so you can check.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are my thoughts exactly, but i would like to raise more on the flop so you take it down unconteseted more often
Old 07-29-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

These are my thoughts exactly, but i would like to raise more on the flop so you take it down unconteseted more often

[/ QUOTE ]

I said that too, if you read the rest of my post. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 02:57 PM

I think you are missing the point of the raise...

He had position, and wanted to see the river as cheap as possible. It's called taking a free card, and with position it becomes a valuable play.

You raise looks far too weak here. Raise it up to at least 120 or so and go from there. If you get re-raised, fold.

Cheers
Old 07-29-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Question

How did you get this nice output from the convertor. Did you use the email hand history or the history on your hard drive? did you have to edit it?

Whenever I paste a hand history from my hard drive into this convertor I get an error. Unrecognized or something.

Maybe you can paste me the exact raw input you give to this tool so I can see what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!!
Old 07-29-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I said that too, if you read the rest of my post. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are missing the point of the raise...

He had position, and wanted to see the river as cheap as possible. It's called taking a free card, and with position it becomes a valuable play.

You raise looks far too weak here. Raise it up to at least 120 or so and go from there. If you get re-raised, fold.

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, didn't realize I minraised, ugly. I was trying to bet the pot but didn't want to argue with the slide thingy. I think, because I have position, betting out here strong is a great way to see the river cheaply. Villain checks turn anyway, but it'd be a much safer bet with a larger flop bet. I think that's my new line. What's a good strategy OOP?