Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 07-22-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Should I have called this on a $33?

Um...don't the results of the hand answer this question for you? You're behind TWO other pocket pairs preflop here. The fact that a 7 happened to flop this time is totally irrelevant to the proper play. You want all your money in when you believe yourself to have the BEST hand, not when you have a hand that you must get incredibly lucky to win with.

Why are you asking this question? For that matter, why are you playing the 33's if you have to ask this question? For that matter, if you have to ask this question...it's time to start over in poker. Read TOP, post here in response to hands, don't play for awhile...then go back to it when you have a more solid grasp of fundamental play.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:42 PM

Yeah. The play in the $33s is not always good, but the hands you have posted have been particularly bad (not by you). Wildcat's call of the allin is enough to make 77 a fold and it really isn't close.

I would very easily fold JJ in your spot.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:53 PM

Hey, Stu

You are being results oriented here. This is not even close to being a call. Yes you would have won, but if you could make this play 100 times you would be posting this asking "is this a leak in my game?"

Good fold.

yabastid
Old 07-22-2005, 08:00 PM

This is really funny to me- since the hand was won by- yup, you guessed it- me- funny to see your hand posted by another - this is a first for me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

To answer your question, I would never ever consider calling w/77 after 3 allins- I was just trying to steal obviously with the blinds coming around, but, boy was I unhappy to see two callers, but I did like end result [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What could you be beating? At least 1 of us has Ax, one or 2 has a pair- more than half the pairs are higher than yours, so why would you call.

Your regret in not calling is results oriented thinking- not solid poker playing- i.e- Do you fold AA preflop because it lost to 27 one time- same thinking - do you ever call your stack off w/77 after 3 allins- of course not- even if every now and then you hit a 7.

bye
Old 07-22-2005, 08:39 PM

I didn't mean your open-push when I disparaged the play in this hand. I think it was fine.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:49 PM

It's not as much a bad beat post as it is a "not...good...beat" post.

I'm sure we've all made a few NGB posts in our 2+2 infancies.