FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would You Do Yugo?
Absolutely! 6 26.09%
I tried once, but couldn't find the hole. 2 8.70%
Real men have lobster claws!!! 15 65.22%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Do you play poker at work?

Im a producer at a news station and when I finish doing things I just sit in my office for like an hour doing things like reading forums. I've really contemplating upping my salary from 20$ and hour to 30$ an hour with some casual poker, but if I get caught I'd be so screwed. You can't explain to a boss that you were gambling on the internet with an offshore website. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what is your job that you can play poker at work?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a work study at college. I work in the English department, doing odd jobs like deliveries and making copies.

They usually have about an hour of work for me to do. Since it's government funded, they don't care how long I stick around each day.

Booyah!
Old 07-22-2005, 02:55 PM

I work in a small office with a results orientated boss. We have an unspoken agreement. I tend to my responsibilities and she pretends she doesn't notice I sometimes have poker games running while I work. I try to be discreet about it and I don't do it all the time. So far it's working out but the true test will be when I screw up. (which is bound to happen sooner or later regardless of the distraction.)
Old 07-22-2005, 02:55 PM

If you get caught you'd be screwed? Consider yourself screwed.

If the company has even a halfway decent IT department, odds are they already know you've been connecting to poker sites. You realize every website you visit and every computer you connect to has to go through your company firewall, don't you? They also keep records. If you're lucky, they may not have noticed yet. However, they also may just be waiting to see if you continue to do it before letting you go.

Gambling on company time is almost always an automatic firing. I would recommend you stick to reading 2+2 and wait until you get home to play poker.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im a producer at a news station and when I finish doing things I just sit in my office for like an hour doing things like reading forums. I've really contemplating upping my salary from 20$ and hour to 30$ an hour with some casual poker, but if I get caught I'd be so screwed. You can't explain to a boss that you were gambling on the internet with an offshore website. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just say it is for fun with play money like solitaire. Ah, still probably not a good idea.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:24 PM

Heck ya. I'm the Network admin so I am the "police". Plus I got my manager hooked on poker so he plays at work too. No getting fired here.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:48 PM

Thats not a bad idea at all. The only problem would be there are things that require me to run into the control room randomly to look at things, and I'll be leaving the table sometimes. I'll just play small stakes though so it won't be so detrimential. I'm so bored right now all I want to do is play
Old 07-22-2005, 03:49 PM

Network Admin here also.

We track everything everyone does, but my boss intentionally has me erase my logs at the end of every month.

So if my work is done... I'm on some tables...
Old 07-22-2005, 03:54 PM

I used to play alot. I work in a High School and have my own office. So I used to shut my door and play a bunch, but I felt really guilty about it and a little worried about getting caught, so I quit playing at work a couple of months ago and havn't since.

I'm pretty glad I stopped.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:42 PM

Please add unemployed to your poll.