Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 07-13-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Getting away from middle set?

Is there any way to get away from this hand?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed)
BB ($402.56)
UTG ($200)
MP ($268.45)
Button ($210.10)
Hero ($260.25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $6</font>, Hero (poster) calls $5, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $4.

Flop: ($20) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($20) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $14</font>, MP calls $14, Button calls $14.

River: ($62) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets 60</font>, MP folds, Button Raises to $120, Hero reraises all-in $180.25, Button calls $70.10

Final Pot: $490.35

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP doesn't show.
Button has Ah As (three of a kind, aces).
Hero has Jd Jc (three of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins $50.15 from side pot. Button wins $440.20 from main pot. </font>
Old 07-13-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Getting away from middle set?

Well the converter messed up the river action, but it looks like your slow play unintentionally saved you from losing a lot more money then you did. I really don't know why you're complaining because there's no chance, given the way the hand played out, that you're getting away from this on this board especially.

Added River Edit: Ok so now that I see the river action, it's still tough to fold, but at the same time that flop check is extraordinarily suspicious and then the minraise on the river screams monster. Still, there's little chance I have the cojones to fold. Though 0% of players play AK like this. I guess smaller sets might, but yeah, I would feel really sick when I get minraised like that on the river and make the crying call as opposed to pushing it in.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:29 PM

I doctored up the river action manually (damn converter).
Old 07-13-2005, 03:35 PM

Yea, your slow play saved you money in this situation. However, set over set is just one of those hands that I'm going to always lose my stack on, and do everything I can to get all in on the flop.

With that in mind, I would maybe lead into the preflop raiser. I assume you were planning to c/r this time. Most of the time, the preflop raiser is going to have some hand like Ak/Aq, and if you lead, those type of hands typically raise you, making it much harder to get away from when you move in.

In this case, he had an overset - "tel aviv", as they say in Israel. But every time, I'm leading here, with the intention of getting as much in on the flop as I can.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-13-2005, 03:40 PM

i think you played it OK. i would have just called the river minraise, because it's hard to put him on a hand you beat.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:43 PM

His check on the flop would automatically make me really suspicious. More suspicious is his cold call on the turn, unless he's incorrectly drawing to a flush. Even a KK / QQ would lead out on the flop just because he has fold equity. When he minraises you on the end, what range of hands do you think he has? Would he raise preflop with AJ, 88, 33, or 44?

I'm sure I would have just called his reraise and save myself some money because I'm pretty sure I'm beat.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:46 PM

I think the play was fine. The only place I see you possibly saving money here is on the river by just calling his reraise. Of course there was only one hand that beat you so I don't know that i would have just called myself. Tough beat.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:46 PM

I should have added that he's an average to below-average player, who makes lots of loose calls preflop and beyond.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure I would have just called his reraise and save myself some money because I'm pretty sure I'm beat

[/ QUOTE ]

There is only one hand that beats you... and your playing a 6 max table where ppl play more hands more aggressivly. I don't see how anyone can be sure they are beat here.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:51 PM

because he's the PFR and he slowplayed.