Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 06-29-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Tough hand: Flopped set

Whats my action? Figured I had CO beat. What about button and SB. Thought it could be a set on set. SB is a maniac, so he could call with 9 J preflop. Button is known to be tight and solid..
What do i do here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $20 BB (9 handed) converter

BB ($2136)

UTG ($2608)
UTG+1 ($2418)
Hero ($2532)
MP2 ($644)
MP3 ($2938.55)
CO ($2664)
Button ($1950)
SB ($876.24)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $70</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $70, Button calls $70, SB calls $60, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($300) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $1880 (All-In)</font>, SB calls $806.24 (All-In
Old 06-29-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Tough hand: Flopped set

what are you beating, QT? would he make this move with a pair and a straight draw or just a straight draw if he figures you for an overpair and thinks you'll lay it down?
Old 06-29-2005, 06:59 PM

I figured CO for q 10 and I was right..I figured one of the other two flopped the str8, more likely button. SB did not worry me but button...

As you can see it was a big pot!
Old 06-29-2005, 07:03 PM

Easy, easy fold here. Everyone is telling you they have the nuts.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:19 PM

Easy fold. A minimum of one other player has a higher set and therefore you only have one out to catch up whatever mix of hands are out there.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:21 PM

tough spot, but i think this is a fold... button guy is gonna show you an overset almost every time... this is really dependent on the BTN/SB because alot of players could easily move in here with AJ or something, which i think is an alright play. if SB is real horrible, he might call with KQ.
against average party 10/20 NIT, id lay this one down...
P.S. whats up with the weak lead on the flop? HATE IT.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Results

Agree about the lead. Was hoping to get raised..not in that manner though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].. I ended up folding the hand..Figured I was beat. Heres how the hand turned up.

Hero folds, CO folds.

Turn: ($3286.24) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($3286.24) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $3286.24

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Button has Tc 9h (two pair, tens and fours).
SB has Kc Jh (one pair, fours).
Outcome: Button wins $3286.24. </font>

Duck was right. Button told me later he went allin hoping to get rid of anyone but a set. SB had an open ended str8 draw. Anybody think I can call here considering the action in the hand. Sometimes reads can be deceptive I guess!
Old 06-29-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
Agree about the lead. Was hoping to get raised..not in that manner though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].. I ended up folding the hand..Figured I was beat. Heres how the hand turned up.

Hero folds, CO folds.

Turn: ($3286.24) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($3286.24) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $3286.24

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Button has Tc 9h (two pair, tens and fours).
SB has Kc Jh (one pair, fours).
Outcome: Button wins $3286.24. </font>

Duck was right. Button told me later he went allin hoping to get rid of anyone but a set. SB had an open ended str8 draw. Anybody think I can call here considering the action in the hand. Sometimes reads can be deceptive I guess!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a good fold here. If you weren't behind J9 i'd suggest calling here.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:33 PM

Even knowing the results I can't find a good reason to call this bet. Added to the list of reasons already mentioned is the CO who min raised your initial weak lead. Sure he's probably going to fold.........unless he's being as deceptive as you are.

How much different does this hand play if you lead with a pot sized bet? Put yourself on the Button and tell me how your going to respond to a $300 lead with CO folding to you.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:33 PM

I agree with Leptyne. I used to try underbetting the pot on the flop to induce a raise and it is a very successful play when you are in front and your opponent catches a small part of the flop. The problem with this play is that many times you will get into situations where you have to consider laying down monsters. I got myself into trouble because your underbetting may disguise your hand, but you get no information on your opponents hand when he makes this routine raise.

A hand that got me to stop this play was a few days ago in
a party 200NL game.

Blinds 1/2.
CO~$175, Hero has CO covered
Hero dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

UTG folds, UTG+1 limps, Hero raises in MP to $9, CO calls, rest fold, UTG+1 folds.

Flop K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].(Pot ~$23)

Hero bets 12(hoping for a raise)
CO raises to 30(aha, the play worked)
Hero moves all in
CO instacalls

Turn Blank
River Blank

CO shows JJ and takes down pot.

Basically after that I realized how much you are blinding yourself by underbetting the pot OOP. Just my thoughts based on my experience. Anyone else have similar hands?