Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Save my poker life and hurry!

Yeah 27.5% is worse than the average player (30%), by definition.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
List of concepts you need to understand to beat the $11's for a moderate ROI:

10x BB rule: when you have 10x BB or less, push all-in
ICM

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the 10BB thing is in any sense a RULE. So with 100/200 blinds, and with 1900 chips, you're going to push all in any time you play a hand? This is certainly not necessary at 11$ games. You also can be quite profitable not even knowing about ICM, and you definitely won't need it to soundly beat the 11 and 22 tournies.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

ICM

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the 10BB thing is in any sense a RULE. So with 100/200 blinds, and with 1900 chips, you're going to push all in any time you play a hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!

[ QUOTE ]
This is certainly not necessary at 11$ games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybee you can be profitable without pushing, but i think it will be much more profitable if you learn to push.( i don't have that much experience with the 10's, but a lot with the 20's.)

[ QUOTE ]
You also can be quite profitable not even knowing about ICM, and you definitely won't need it to soundly beat the 11 and 22 tournies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but you still need a decent understanding of what hands are worth calling on the buble.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

ICM

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the 10BB thing is in any sense a RULE. So with 100/200 blinds, and with 1900 chips, you're going to push all in any time you play a hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!

[ QUOTE ]
This is certainly not necessary at 11$ games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybee you can be profitable without pushing, but i think it will be much more profitable if you learn to push.( i don't have that much experience with the 10's, but a lot with the 20's.)

[ QUOTE ]
You also can be quite profitable not even knowing about ICM, and you definitely won't need it to soundly beat the 11 and 22 tournies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but you still need a decent understanding of what hands are worth calling on the buble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't follow the 10x BB 'rule' and I have a 32% ROI over 650 11$ tournies on party poker. I think it is much more applicable at 50-200 buyin where you run the risk of being reraised with any 2 or outplayed postflop. People will fold their blinds to minraises at the 11s.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am also a pretty tight player and dont take too many risks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something that seriously stood out to me. In the world of SNGs, if you won't take risks, you won't be successful. Period. You can't look at pushing 73o from the SB as "OMG I hope he doesn't call! Ooooh shitty...here goes." You have to look at it as "Bahahaha. Ship it SON! Oh [censored] he called." [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think it's great that you're willing to learn, but keep in mind that serious SNG players are at least some bit mad...
Old 06-17-2005, 08:23 AM

Here are my thoughts on the situation...

1. You're probably going to go broke. Go ahead and get yourself ready for that. It's OK. Most of the players on here have at some point. I have several times. My first few buy-ins at PP went quickly and then I learned how to play SNGs. You're here, so you've probably saved yourself some money down the road. However, you're going to be hardpressed to rebound with 4 buy-ins.

2. With limited funds, you might want to try a site with 5 + .50 SNGs and 1500 starting stacks. After I dropped my first few buy-ins at Party, I switched to Pokerroom.com and killed the games there. I think that would be a good move for you for 2 reasons. One is reduced rake. 20% is very high and it WILL add up over time. Another is you have enough chips to actually play some poker with. You can learn the ins and outs of most of what was on that list (which was very good, by the way)... position, blind stealing, etc. and you can do so without having 1 mistake cost you your entire stack and thus, $6. This in mind, I think it's good to switch back to Party at some point, because your hourly rate will go up. But it's a much more difficult structure for the beginner to adjust to and play, IMO.

3. Read this forum like there's no tomorrow. Also picking up a few books (if you don't have the $ ask for them on your b-day or Christmas) can't be a bad idea. You won't find any specifically for SNGs (this forum is the best for that), but they will definitely help your game. HOH 1 and 2 should top your list. I'd leave Play Poker Like the Pros and both Super Systems, unless you are serious about improving your play at games other than hold 'em (for which they are good).

4. Post some hand histories from your first few tournaments. Not whole ones since hardly anyone will respond to those, but try to pick out some hands that you lost all your chips on and aren't sure if you made the correct play. DO NOT post bad beats, like if you got in with AA vs. 33 pre-flop. But if you feel that you got outplayed on a hand or aren't sure if you should have pushed, post it on here and we'll tell you.

5. Lastly don't get discouraged if you lose this last $24. In my last 100 SNGs I've had a run of 1 cash in 14 games and a run of 22 cashes in 30 games. These things can be streaky. It's entirely possible that you're a winning player on a downswing. However, it's also possible that you're a losing player who needs to plug some leaks. If that's the case, then you're at least on the right track.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:39 AM

invest in a book and education. quit being a moron
Old 06-17-2005, 09:41 AM

Somehow I knew I could count on you to provide a useless, dumbass response. You're like the Dead of STT.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:53 PM

How much should I put in then to avoid going broke again?
Old 06-17-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much should I put in then to avoid going broke again?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are a winning player (which is a lot more likely than anyone - especially a losing player - is willing to admit)...then 100xbuyin should allow you to avoid going broke pretty much ever.

The thing is, if you are a good to very good player at the $11s then you'll need much less...but, we have no way of telling you how good you are. And knowing how good you are is necessary to answer your question.

If you play $11s on an $80 bankroll..I think statistically even the very best player ever would go broke a decent amount of the time. If you play the $6s and are still underfunded at $80, you probably should check out a $5.50 buyin, which Party Poker & Skins doesn't offer.

Luminous