Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 06-08-2005, 03:46 AM

Default Re: Has the calling \"all-in\" standards at the 50\'s gone to hell?

[ QUOTE ]
IF this is a real phenomenon, one cause may be that players are realizing that many of their opponents are pushing with very wide ranges, and adjusting their calling ranges accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Please God don't let this be true!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Okay, I play the 11s and 22s but this is still a scary prospect.)

Maybe it should be part of the forum by-laws that we can't talk to anyone outside of 2+2 about this website... Make it a secret society - like the Freemasons. You talk about it and you're out. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 09:37 AM

I've been avoiding posting this same thing for fear that people would flame for suggesting it. I've been getting called by UTTER CRAP since I moved to the 50s. Way worse than it was at the 33s. You'd think this would be an ok thing, except that half the time I AM pushing crap. I've busted out way, way more on the bubble in 55s than I should be.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:16 PM

From today at the 11s in consecutive games, all at bubble time:

1) Blinds 100-200. I'm on the button with t1300 open push with JJ. BB also has t1300, calls with Q2s.

2) Blinds 100-200. I'm in SB with t1200 with A6 and open push. BB, who has me covered by 100 chips, calls with K2o.

3) Blinds 100-200. I'm button with KJs with t1280 and open push, BB again has me covered by about 100 chips. Calls with 57s.

In all of these cases, the caller and I had similar, healthy stacks, so they weren't so desperate that they had to call. Also, in two of the cases, it was the first time I pushed and in the other, it was only the second time I pushed.

Maybe the original poster is right and there really is a trend starting of looser (to say the least) calling standards. (Or this is just more stupid play at the 11s in these cases.) But it is beginning to make me wonder as well...

I should add that in the A6 case when I was called by K2, he won the hand and then said that "he knew that I didn't have anything" and that it "looked like an overbet" so that's why he called. The overbet comment really amused me - would he normally put in a 3BB raise in this spot? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2005, 02:23 PM

When I know people are pushing close to any two my calling range may be quite wide. That they then suck out on me is probably divine punishment for my insolence.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:40 PM

I've been thinking about this situation for a while now...

First of all, I don't even want to begin to suggest that this is the best strategy "by the book." but...

If you watch me play...

In the first couple levels I look scared, I mean I rarely play a hand and if I do I usually end up pushing in on the flop or turn and you never see my cards. (I'm pushing AA & KK) You may see me limp a hand or two and then fold on the flop. (small pockets)
In the next level or two I start to push a couple hands. Everyone folds, so you never see my hand.
In levels after 5 I'm pushing a lot.

Do you think I know how to play poker? Do you think I know how to play post-flop? Or am I just a scared player who thinks he can just push a lot and win? ( I know the 2+2's know I don't have a clue [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img], but I mean for the normal fishes that play.)

And if you think I don't know how to play, how brave are you going to get in calling me? Braver than normal I'll bet.

When I end up actually "playing" a blind, I seem to get more respect for my pushes later on.

Comments?

------------Jeff