Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 05-29-2005, 05:23 PM

Default small flush out of position.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP (poster) checks, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, MP folds.

River: (7 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 05-29-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: small flush out of position.

bet the flop. Free cards suck.

3-bet the turn.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:33 PM

I would lead this flop. Going for the checkraise with no idea who will bet is risky. Note that if a big club bets from the button you've really messed it up. You don't want to get heads up with the only hand that can beat you.

3-bet the turn. It's too soon to be thinking about a better flush.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:37 PM

I was hoping to check raise the flop (obvoiusly).
Is the pot big enough that a small bet will scare anyone off, and conversly is the pot big enough that I have to try to win it without a free card.

Can I fold to a turn cap? Or do I have to call it down. Villian is loose and agressive postflop.

edit: i hope that a player with top pair will bet out to protect.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:58 PM

I would usually bet the flop, but I don't think check/raising is bad in the right conditions. (Aggro guy behind you.)

You should 3-bet the turn and no you can't fold to a cap. I would call down if capped on the turn.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:23 PM

Definitely have to bet the flop, no one raised PF so you shouldnt think that someone will speak up for you. You just risk too much money doing so. Also, 3-bet the turn.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:25 PM

I don't mind a flop lead or a flop check. Actually I prefer a flop lead. So many people will raise for a free card and I love to 3-bet.

Not 3-betting the turn is really really really bad. No you can't fold flushes anywhere.

Not 3-betting the river given that you didn't 3-bet the turn is also really really bad.

Krishan
Old 05-29-2005, 06:35 PM

Bet the flop - free cards are bad for your baby flush and you have no idea who to expect a bet from, aside from the Button being LAGy and you don't want to c/r him.

3bet the turn. Given that you didn't, 3bet the river.

Surf
Old 05-29-2005, 06:42 PM

I had trouble three betting because of the raise when the five hit and I had one in hand. Which means he can't have hit a set or two pair on the turn (what would he have called preflop with?), and if he had it on the flop, he would not have let a free card hit.
So he either has a flush or Ac (maybe Qc or even JcTx). There is value to 3 betting if he has a single club 80% of the time, but if he has a flush then I am lossing an extra bet. I thought it was an equal chance of either, and thus a lossing fraction of a bet in the long run. As I am either way behind or only slightly ahead.
When the Ace hits the river, either he has a flush, or he paired the ace. I have to bet this because I don't know if he will bet with the Ac. Raise should tell me he has a flush, but with even a 20% chance of him having an ace, I have to call.

but I should have lead the flop
Old 05-29-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is value to 3 betting if he has a single club 80% of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
As I am either way behind or only slightly ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

80% is not slightly ahead. It's way way ahead. Hugely ahead. It's a massive edge.

Krishan