Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Need help on first three table attempt - bad preflop play ahead.

I started multitabling just a week or so ago, just two tables at 3/6. I was doing fine and suddenly today party popped up that i was ready to take a seat at a third table. OK.
Didn't go so well, I think I played rushed and bad.
here are some hands from that third table.

Hand one.
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???</font>
Final Pot: 13.50 BB

I am guessing the preflop raise was too much, but then I was calling with my backdoor flush and inside straight draw. What do I do when I hit top pair?

hand two
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.66 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.66 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.66 BB

again, I get in trouble before the flop even thinks about coming. I don't know how I played the flop - I wanted to see where I was, and I was behind when the Ace hit, but I guess I called thinking I had outs to the river.\

hand 3
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $3.
UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, Hero (poster) calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (8.66 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds.

River: (16.66 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks.

Final Pot: 16.66 BB

I thought I had a pretty strong hand here, I might have been able to value bet the river and was really hoping to get a flush, but backed down.

The other intersting hand was a runner runner bad beat story.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Need help on first three table attempt - bad preflop play ahead.

hand 1 - raise is okay if you think people will likely be folding. It's a little LAGGY, but it's not the worst thing in the world. Limp is much better from this position (especially after one limper). Flop you CAN call, turn now you can call again. River I just call. Top pair by river is not THAT strong, you have no idea what sb has...he can have anything from a made straight (semi-bluffing whole way) to a set, two pair. He also could easily just have AJ or KJ. Still I like calling river. A raise is OKAY if you plan on folding to a 3-bet.

Hand 2:
Fold preflop to a raise definitely and it's not close. QJs CAN call if you expect a multiway pot, but QJo is situational to play when there's NO raise. 3-bet is okay on the flop as now the pot is getting relatively big. The turn you are DEFINITELY in big trouble, especially when he bets out. You might be drawing pretty slim. I probably give it up on the turn? What hands are you ahead of? Folding this preflop avoids those marginal situations where people have already shown strength preflop.

Hand 3:
Everything seems okay to me except POSTING utg lol, just wait one more hand buddy. River I probably bet out, especially since MP2 folded (I thought he had AK possibilities, but since he's out, no way). MP1's MOST probable hands are KQ-K9, all of which you are way ahead of. You are definitely not up against a set or higher two pair. There's a SLIM possibility you are up against Ax[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] too, in which case you are ahead of too. He probably wouldn't value bet that, but you definitely will get called by him.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 3:
Everything seems okay to me except POSTING utg lol, just wait one more hand buddy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was Big Blind, the convertor is just being funny.
thanks for your comments.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:22 PM

The PFR in hand 1 is obviously not something that you want to be doing every time, but it is a perfectly good thing to throw out there every so often as a change of pace. In this hand, you succeeded in buying yourself the button, which is generally worth it even with a mediocre preflop hand like QTs. Raise the river...you now have top pair heads up, and SB is probably just betting a busted spades draw anyway (if he had a strong jack or a set, he would likely have check/raised with a two-suited flop). When you flopped an overcard + the draws, I would've gone ahead and raised the flop to try and buy that free card, but I don't know if that's standard or even smart in this case...it seems like it would be to me, especially after the PFR, but there are more spades that could hurt you than good cards that help.

Hand 2: Hand 2 should be an easy preflop fold against an UTG+1 raise with no other callers yet. 3-betting the flop was just goofy with only TPMK &amp; a couple of backdoors.

Hand 3: I'm sure someone else has said this already (I haven't read the other responses yet), but posting UTG is Bad. Calling the PFR wasn't terrible with 4 other players in it, but without position I can't imagine that it's a huge +EV play. I think you have to bet/call that river...MP2 would've capped the turn with a set, and you can't really assume that he's on AK.

EDIT: That's why it's sometimes good to read the replies first. Nevermind the bit about posting.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:58 AM

Thanks. It looks like I didn't make too many mistakes except for hand two was way overplayed. I raised the river and lost to his set of eights.

I also lost to a set of eights in the last hand.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:04 PM

hand 1 raise is... ok... probably a good idea if your first in, but if you're having trouble w/ postflop play as well as preflop, keep it simple... QTs is just fine with a multiway pot. call here. after that, i think you can call down, no problem.

hand 2, get out preflop, and it's not close.

hand 3, is close preflop, but i have no problem with the call. i think it's an easy river value bet.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also lost to a set of eights in the last hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be thankful. MP1 let you off the hook a lot easier than he should have. I can't imagine not raising all the way with that hand, especially after the PFR folded on the turn.