Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 07-21-2004, 05:40 PM

Default playing against a loose aggressive player

I play in a twice weekly no limit one table game with 7-9 players. Each player starts out with $35 and the limits start at 1-2. there is one player who knows nothing about poker who has been running over the game since we started it. essentially no one has the nuts to raise him when he is flat bluffing except me. he basicall does the following:

1. will call preflop with any two cards it it is not raised or if it is minraised.
2.if it is raised more than min raised he will still call if he thinks you are making a move. for example he once accused me of bluffing and called me with T2o (!)
3. if the flop is checked to him he will always bet and if there is a small bet on the flop he will raise with many hands, but will also usually call all the way with second or third pair.
4. when it gets to 4 players he will bet and raise with virtually anything if the flop is checked. he did this today with 62o, when one player raised and one called preflop. he called and then bet the pot on the flop.

when i say he knows little to nothing about poker, he once called an all in bet after all cards were out with a fourflush. he wondered why no other cards were out. as it turns out he made a pair and won the pot.

essentially, my strategy with him has been to call preflop and then if he bets on the flop and i have anything remotely reasonable i will raise him all in. this seems to work but others do not do it. additionally he will often call with nothing because he assumes I am bluffing, and will often win.

so the question I pose is what is the best strategy to attack a player like this? part of the reason i am posting this is because one of the other players does not believe me when I tell him the best strategy may be to play back at him even when you have little. so am I wrong and what else can be done?

Pat
Old 07-21-2004, 06:01 PM

Default Re: playing against a loose aggressive player

I see alot of these types of players on the $10+1 SnG's at Party. I try and get in as many pots with these guys as cheaply as I can. Im looking to trap them with a big hand. If I dont catch a good flop I get out. I dont care if they run over the whole table. The bigger their stack is the better. I feel I can outplay them later on so I look at all those chips as being mine eventually.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:16 PM

so i guess neither you nor your friends are getting any cards the whole entire game? if you are, why are you not trapping him?
Old 07-22-2004, 05:53 PM

we are but damn if he doesnt almost always catch on the river to win. but another aspect is that many of the guys fold way too much against him. whenever this guy loses it is almost always early because he does get trapped.

Pat