Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 12-28-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Looking to Improve Hand Reading Skills

Hi all:

Can anyone recommend a book or workbook that is devoted to hand reading in NL Hold'em? This is an area I'd really like to improve on. Ideally, I would like to find a workbook that has a bunch of hand descriptions / problems in it that I can work through. Thanks!
Old 12-28-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Looking to Improve Hand Reading Skills

There's no need for a book to do this, my friend. Just sit down with a deck of cards and start dealing out hands. Deal out multiple hands and the the flop, turn, and river. Stop on each round to evaluate the different combinations of hands and identify the nut, 2nd nut, 3rd, etc. Keep doing it as often as you need to 'til you got it down. Many top name and top skill pros did this early in their playing days. It's nothing to be ashamed of. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 11:11 PM

Barry Greenstein's book has a 50 or so page section at the end which he states the details of a hand he has played in but does not immediatly state exactly what he did or what the other person actually had. This gives the reader a chance to put themselves in his shoes and lets you compare your thought process with his.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:31 PM

I think the OP was thinking of something that incorporates opponents' betting patterns on each street with the possibilities on the board. There does seem to be a gap in the literature on the subject. Harrington provides excellent hand reading examples in HOH 1 and 2. And HOH 3 apparently will be all hand examples in work book form. I think Roy Cooke's book is good for hand reading even though it's not in work book format.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:06 PM

deasoft I am not sure if you were kidding but I don't think you have a good grasp of what hand reading ability really is....156iq?

sabrawdy hand reading ability is more a factor of your attention span and observing each player's actions under different circumstances and deciding the reasonable range of hands the opponent can have under different circumstances given the current game conditions(stack sizes, hands recently shown down, his perception of you, playing styles, etc)...good experience is sitting at a good table and observing the players then putting yourself in the shoes of one of the players and thinking whether you would have played the same way and trying to put the hero's opponent on a range of hands......

once again deacsoft, just because I know top set is currently the best hand, doesn't mean I am going to fold my 2nd best set to an all in bet from a TAG....also just because the river made the flush, doesn't mean i am folding my set because I no longer have the best possible hand....I am guessing you were using the rest of your 156 IQ doing something else when you posted your reply....
Old 12-29-2005, 07:58 PM

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

<font color="white">Dick. </font>
Old 12-30-2005, 12:46 PM

Pay attention, and see the world from your opponent's eyes. For reading material, I recommend HOH1, it has some good tips for those just starting out.