Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-23-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Live shorthanded game with overs - general strategy question

I had the fortune of ending up in a 5 handed 20/40 game tonight where everyone had overs buttons. So basically it was increments of 20 preflop and then jumped to 40/80 limit postflop. My opponents were all pretty reasonable, a couple were probably too tight and the others were a bit LAG - it wasn't a good game by any stretch of the imagination, but it was the only one going and I have a big ego.

Anyway, what starting hand adjustments would you make in a game like this? Way back in the day I played in the miniblinds games on UB so I had an idea in mind - I thought immediately that all pairs go way up in value as a flopped set has great implied odds. Suited connectors etc. seem less good to me than usual because of the high price I will pay to draw postflop.

Also do you think there is much more value in slowplaying / tricky playing? I lost a big pot to a borderline maniac LAG when he just called my open raise with AQ in the big blind (I opened AJ) and an ace flopped.

Thoughts?
-DeathDonkey
Old 12-23-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Live shorthanded game with overs - general strategy question

You have the right idea, drawing hands go down in value, pairs and big cards go up in value as you can protect them better postflop.
Deception goes up aswell as the bets on later streets are bigger.