Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-20-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Stud8 - Day 6, Hand 1: 554 picks up trips on 4th and plays bad

Back to cash games for me. In an effort to be more polite in my postings, I'm going to be more descriptive in the subject line.

3rd street seems like a pretty safe limp in decent position and nothing scary behind me.

I know 4th is really awful. You can tell me how bad it is, but I think I already know.

On 5th, what do I do with the 3-flush board in the mix? I suspect that the mutli-way-ness of the pot gives me enough equity to go ahead and raise this once because villain will often not have the flush already.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (4.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls $0.20 and is all-in

5th Street - (5.10 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___all-in

6th Street - (9.10 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___all-in

River - (13.10 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___raises___raises
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___all-in

Total pot: (21.10 BB)
Old 12-20-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Stud8 - Day 6, Hand 1: 554 picks up trips on 4th and plays bad

I limp on third, but I think a reasonable case can be made for folding. Among the dead cards are a Four, two Sevens, a Trey, a Deuce and a couple of spades. You're mostly looking to catch a Five, though.

Yeah, just bet fourth. With seventeen people in, someone's going to give you action. Since you clicked the wrong button, raise when it gets back to you.

On fifth, it sure looks like seat 7 has a flush. Whether or not he should have been drawing to it with all those dead spades and paired door cards is open to debate, but this is $.25/.50. I just don't see him betting anything else. Maybe he has junk and thinks he can bluff five people. I think checking and calling was OK.

Nice catch on the river. I think leading is the best way to trap the other players and to maybe get three bets in. I'd cap as well. The straight flush is blocked, so the only way he can beat you is with a bigger full house, but I think it's far more likely that he has a flush and brain damage. Hope you swept.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:03 AM

Once again, Andy nails it.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:14 PM

passive play leads to difficult decisions and missed value bets - you were playing guessing games on 5th unneccessarily - who wouldn't bet a 4 flush to try to pick up the pot there even if it was dead - so you don't now whether he's got it or not - if you bet out you'd have your answer. i won't mention 4th street as you already pleaded guilty. good courage in posting a mistake!
Old 12-22-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
who wouldn't bet a 4 flush to try to pick up the pot there even if it was dead

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't. There are two paired boards, a 3-straight, a bettor on 4th, and four live villains.